Alside Mezzo Technical Response

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
micawber

Alside Mezzo Technical Response

#1 Post by micawber »

Hello - I am a DIYer. I have installed about a half dozen Alside Mezzo windows over the last 4 years. I have installed a couple of large casements and even a half circle window on top of the casement. They seem like really nice windows. But I have seen several comments about them on this site that lead me to believe that people are not convinced Alside is making a quality product. Can anyone give technical details on the things they do not like? My understanding is that there are maybe a half dozen glass manufactures used by most of the window companies. Is Alside using one of them? Is it a glass company that you feel makes a high quality product? I have used their double and triple panel window and even upgraded to the better window seal in order to make sure they last. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Alside Mezzo Technical Response

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pretty sure that Alside makes their glass in house...at least then did a while back.

I don't think the commentary on the Mezzo is overly harsh in the least. It's actually quote good as compared to previous iterations.

That said, I think most pros will say there are slightly better options that are "as" widely available.

Ricknez

Re: Alside Mezzo Technical Respons

#3 Post by Ricknez »

One complaint is they are flimsy and need to use “ cheater pads “ in the meeting rails because of air infiltration.
Also the so called reinforcement isnt actually a reinforcement bar at all. Further, the foam is some kind of strange insert that doesnt seem to fill the chambers. This window was made for guys such as yourself ( do it your selfer’s ).

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Thin walls and poor quality control are my biggest gripes. I belong to several installer groups on the internet and the amount of reorders with them is out of control. Internal grids out of a alignment way too often is the biggest complaint. When window outfits do a nice job of installing products they want to be able to collect or have a sign-off on the balance due. When there is something wrong with almost every order and you have spend office time reordering, confirming, and then a service call to replace the item, it's just a kiss of death business model.

micawber

#5 Post by micawber »

Thank you for the information! I did install a few more Alside Mezzo windows this past weekend. I noticed that they added a foam insulator around the frame -- I had not see this before. Seems like a good idea but it is going to be a challenge to tuck more insulation around them now. Overall I like them. I am sure there are better windows but these are readily accessible to me at an attractive price. The main thing that concerns me is any kind of breakdown in the glass seal. I suppose time will tell on that. Thanks again for your input.

fridge2020

#6 Post by fridge2020 »

Sounds like this may be the first and only window that you've ever installed, and if not, sheesh, what did you use before if you think these are decent?

Thin gauge vinyl makes for flimsy frames that easily warp causing air leaks and poor operation. High incidence of seal failures. Flimsy frames also make them more difficult to install. Awful quality control. Service parts needed with most orders, and high rate of services needed after install.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are going to flip the house go ahead. Otherwise not good in the long haul.
Though a few years ago I did two houses with them for a friends brother. He got sold on them by another dealer and the price. We won the contract but were stuck with installing the Mezzo. The guy complained about the slop and poor tolerance, I said this was not the product I suggested to you, haven't hear a peep since.

I have a guy right now that has a beautiful suburban home that wants to go down and dirty, I do not get it, maybe he has the 1st $ he ever made.

theWindowNerd.