HomeDepot vs. local in Chicago area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
aweinst2

HomeDepot vs. local in Chicago area

#1 Post by aweinst2 »

I have gotten numerous quotes for 2 double hung windows (attached to each other side by side), and I have narrowed it down to the following two options:

Simonton 6100 to be installed by Home Depot: $1800
Sunrise to be installed by a local company: $3100 (including a current BOGO 30% off. Numbers seem a little off, but without promo it is quoted at $3900)

I know Sunrise is a better window, but is it really worth double?? (or more than double w/o the promotion??)

I have read a lot of really good and a lot of really bad reviews about Home Depot, but they were the cheapest BY FAR of the quotes I got. It seems installation should weigh slightly more in the decision process than the windows themselves. Also, the prices seem really high per window, but is that due to only having 2 windows to replace? Or is COVID also playing a factor in inflating the pricing??

Any feedback on working with HomeDepot or whether the local place with the Sunrise windows seems worth it would be GREATLY appreciated. Note: I plan to replace other windows in my house over the next couple/few years (i have 13 windows total, house is only around $250K) and whoever I choose, I would want to use again for the future replacements.

TheWindowNerd

Re: HomeDepot vs. local in Chicago area

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think you know what you are going to read if you have spent any time reading comments here.
Simonton is mid to poor. Orange install is a crap shoot.
A good question is are you rich enough you can afford to do it twice?

Yes the price is high due to LOW volume.

HomeSealed

Re: HomeDepot vs. local in Chicago area

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

aweinst2 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:43 pm
I know Sunrise is a better window, but is it really worth double?? (or more than double w/o the promotion??)
When combined with the installation, yes. I don't know the local company that is proposing the Sunrise window, but based on the fact that they pay a premium to get a good window, they probably do the same for installation. Orange pays installers below market rates last time I checked. Calling it a crapshoot is probably generous.