Seeking advice on replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Window2021

Seeking advice on replacement windows

#1 Post by Window2021 »

I live in the Northeast and will be replacing my current windows (approx. 20) with double hung windows. So far I've had companies recommend the following windows: Simonton 9800, ProVia Endure and Infinity by Marvin. The first two are vinyl, the Marvin window is fiberglass. Ignoring price for now, does anyone have any experience with or advice on any of these three options? Your comment swill be well appreciated. Thank you.

toddinmn

Re: Seeking advice on replacement windows

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I’d say the the Pro-Via is better than the Simonton, both are pretty decent vinyl windows but there are better products out there. The Infinity is different product both material wise and how the product is sold and marketed. I would say it looks better that the other two and performs worse.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

Are you on Long Island?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Good feedback above. Two middling vinyl choices and then something completely different in the Marvin. What are your goals for the project? Performance? Value? Aesthetics?... That will really dictate which way to go here. If you are good with the appearance of vinyl, its hard to beat for the performance/value proposition. You should have most of the top performers available to you in a Northeast location, look for dealers of Okna, Softlite, Sunrise, Polaris.

In the event that you aren't in love with vinyl, you could do worse than the Infinity, however you may also have the Starmark composite available in your area. It is a phenomenal window combining the high end looks with high performance, whereas the Infinity is only special on the looks side.

Window2021

#5 Post by Window2021 »

To all,

Thanks for the advice. As a follow up, I am on Long Island. My goal is to find a high performing windows that also looks good even if I need to pay more.

I've seen a lot of good reviews on Okna and Sunrise on the discussion board and sent inquiries on their respective websites requesting to be contacted. Still waiting to hear back from them. In the interim, can anyone recommend contractors on Long Island that sell/install either of these brands?

I'll also look into Softlite and Polaris to see if I can find a dealer in my area for these brands.

Thank you!

Ethan Connor

#6 Post by Ethan Connor »

Both are good. Vinyl window have own advantages and fiberglass has it's own. Like Durability there is no comparission between vinyl and with fiberglass vinyl is good and on the other hand fiberglass is more energy efficient. Fiberglass windows are as much as 15 percent more energy efficient than vinyl. And thanks to its glass base, fiberglass is very effective at insulating against sound, too—an important consideration if you live near a highway or other noisy area

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

How, if FG if more efficient, are nearly all the most efficient windows on the market vinyl vs. fiberglass barely cracking the list.

Interesting assertion about STC performance too. Any data to back that up?

donalexinder24

#8 Post by donalexinder24 »

Hello
If you don't want to deal with vinyl, the Infinity is a good option, but you might also be able to find the Starmark composite in your region. It's a fantastic window that combines high-end aesthetics with great performance, whereas the Infinity is just noteworthy for its appearance.