Window and patio door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jeffyjeffjeff01

Window and patio door

#1 Post by Jeffyjeffjeff01 »

I am in need of some casement windows and a sliding patio door for an addition. I have a house full of sunrise windows which I love. Unfortunately, I have been told they are back ordered 20+ weeks. I am having a tough time with Pacific, Okna, Provia bc they do not have a narrow frame and screen like sunrise. I can’t find a Soft-Lite dealer.

What do you think of Marvin Essential? Is it worth upgrading to the Elevate line for strength alone when wood look is not desired? Are there other lines I should consider?

Also, what’s the best patio door? I like the Provia Endure most so far followed by Pacific Ultraweld. My wife was not a fan of the look of Okna. Do both of these beat out Marvin Essentials patio door? Any other doors to consider?

I live in NY. If anyone can get me a few Sunrise windows I’d pay top dollar!! Haha

Delaware Mike

Re: Window and patio door

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I know that lead time seems very long, but if you like that dealer why not just wait? We do all those brands and even though I don't like the longer lead times with Sunrise now and rarely do their lines these days, I'd be willing to wait on their casements. Frankly, I would be concerned for any dealer that isn't booked out 6-months with how much volume we have workload wise. You wife would be wise to rethink the OKNA slider if that's an option. There is much less to go wrong on the door than any other vinyl slider that I've found in the industry, and it's more air tight than it's peers. It also operates when installed correctly easier than the ProVia with a more simplistic handleset and screen. It can look a tiny bit bulky at the bottom as it features a fully welder master frame like a slider window as opposed to a butt joint mechanical frame.

I do ProVia, Sunrise, and OKNA sliders, and I will recommend different brands for different scenarios based upon the situation. An older couple that is converting a hinged door for example might not be a good fit for the taller bottom frame facing on an OKNA slider to step over depending on the interior floor build-up depth.

Personally speaking, most smaller mom and pop type dealers are kind of letting homeowners know right now that we are doing are very best with lead times. I'm working 6-7 12-hour days in the field installing right now and anyone that wants to hire me needs to know that they will have to wait to ensure the install will be to mine and their expectations.

We have a couple of Marvin guys here that can better answer their product lines.

Jeffyjeffjeff01

#3 Post by Jeffyjeffjeff01 »

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, it’s for an addition and it needs to get moving before our Buffalo winter hits. I’ll have to go back to the Okna dealer to try to convince my wife. I feel like the door I saw in the showroom doesn’t match the brochure. Was there a change at some point that I may be seeing an older model?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not sure? I brought on the OKNA lines about 10-years ago and kind of replaced Soft-Lite with them. It's been the same exact door since then. They do have the Forester version of the OKNA Elegante that adds a cosmetic sash panel enhanced look? I'm a huge Marvin fan so with total new construction that would be a good fit.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Same Okna door. There are two models (Elegante and Forester) but the only real difference is the corner welds. There are two hardware option as well.

On the casements, I either commented on a post from you on another site or there is a another homeowner with a similar situation, but the Okna frame to glass is one of the more narrow lined options on the market, particularly when the screen is considered as well. If you really love the Sunrise design that is understandable, it is very nice, but the Okna glass area is very similar and performance is superior.

Lastly, good advice from Mike on the wait. If that is the window that you really like AND you have already had a good experience with that installation company, waiting the extra few weeks is advisable. Lead times are very long right now no matter where you go, and if they aren't, you might want to ask why as that is a red flag.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I’d disagree with shorter lead times being a red flag, many window companies are now way less and I don’t know of any that got to 20 weeks at there worst. I’d put the flag on Sunrise since lead times in general are coming down While there lead times are getting longer. Of course this could all change tomorrow .

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In the casement catagory I would think the Essential line to be a great choice with a good lead time.
SGD: the okna is hand down my fav. If I remember correctly the AL on the OKNA is .06, the Essential SGD is >.12
Most people hating sliding doors due to draft or difficult operation. You do not need to give up either with the Okna.
Lastly a happy wife = a happy life.
theWindowNerd.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:34 am I’d disagree with shorter lead times being a red flag, many window companies are now way less and I don’t know of any that got to 20 weeks at there worst. I’d put the flag on Sunrise since lead times in general are coming down While there lead times are getting longer. Of course this could all change tomorrow .
I didn't suggest that anything under 20 weeks is a red flag, I also agree that 20 weeks on the manufacturer level is the worst that I know of, although I've also seen others where "backordered" language with no date is used. What I suggested was that short lead times are a red flag. Not sure that anyone else misconstrued, but I'll elaborate.
A short lead time may mean one of a few things, most not good. Could be that the salesperson is lying (or uninformed) to get the sale, could be that the company isn't very busy which is certainly a red flag in the current environment, or it could mean the same about the manufacturer if by some chance they are turning product around in a few weeks. In normal times there are manufacturers that turn windows around anywhere from 10 days to 8 weeks depending on which product and options, these days that 8 weeks seems to be the starting point with 20+ weeks possible. Keep in mind as well that companies that have an "operation" need additional time for final measure, ordering process, permit approval when needed, and then scheduling the job in the install calendar as well, as in most cases installers aren't ready and waiting once the windows arrive. These processes will add a few weeks +/- to the product lead time in most cases.

What is considered a "short lead time"? Certainly an installation company quoting weeks in the single digits at this point in time would be an attention grabber. Getting multiple quotes and having one be substantially sooner than others would as well.

Lastly, the "this could all change tomorrow" is very relevant, and any good window guy that has his/her ear to the ground is aware that lead times are expected to get worse (in cases where they haven't already) and with some dire predictions by the time we get to fall.