Windows for Atlanta area home

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
karyatissa

Windows for Atlanta area home

#1 Post by karyatissa »

Thoughts between these two window options?
Vytex Fortis for $18217 vs VinylMax Franklin for $15875. It's for a '63 split level with original windows. The price may seem high because of a black exterior color. Any others to suggest? This is for 25 windows.

Ricknez

Re: Windows for Atlanta area home

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The Vytex is a much better window and your pricing is extremely cheap if you are getting black exterior. Its cheap if you were getting white exterior.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Can't add much to that. The Vytex is better and that pricing isn't high at all. In Atlanta you can probably also find Sunrise Restorations, Okna, and Softlite Elements if you'd like other good windows to compare.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

That pricing is great, as long as the installation company checks out . The Vytex Fortis has solid reviews and has very good performance numbers. If everything checks out these are definitely pre -covid prices and I would jump on it.

Pratul2

#5 Post by Pratul2 »

Hi @karyatissa : I am in a similar boat comparing different windows to replace 30 windows in our home in Atlanta, GA.
Which window did you go with? If possible, can you share the name of the installer you are going with?

Right now we are considering the following:
  • Vytex Fortis
    Okna Insul-tex 500
    Soft-lite Elements
    Provia Endure

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I’d put the Element at the top and Vytex and 500 2nd and the Pro-Via last. pricing , installation details and the install could change the order.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree with Todd.

The comparable window to the Elements, in the Okna, would be the 800 series.

Pratul2

#8 Post by Pratul2 »

Thanks for your replies. Is Soft-lite Imperial or Classic Plus closer to the other windows? Thanks!

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The Imperial Elite/ LS is pretty much the same window as the Element with small differences so it’s right there at the top. The Classic Is would be at the bottom of the list.

Pratul2

#10 Post by Pratul2 »

The estimates are starting to trickle in. The first set of estimates I got are:

Okna 500 - $18,277.00
Okna 600 - $18,849.00
Okna 800 - $19,399.00

On thing that concerns me is the comment below on how they will install the windows:
"The window come with open cell foam insulation wrap fro the factory and we add fiberglass insulation in all corner and at the bottom sill".

What I have seen and heard is that the installers fill the gaps around the window with injection foam. Is what they are proposing (filling just the corners and bottom sill with fiberglass insulation) good or should I insist on them using injection foam?

Thanks!

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

I think that method would only make sense if they were using a finned/ new construction window when the cavity is inaccessible. If it is an insert window there method is dated and not preferred. The pricing looks great and the 800 would be the choice. I’d ask them about foam but my guess they are reluctant to change as since most have been using foam since the 90’s.

Pratul2

#12 Post by Pratul2 »

Got another quote yesterday. So now my quotes are:

Okna 500 - $18,277.00
Okna 600 - $18,849.00
Okna 800 - $19,399.00
Soft-lite Elements - 22,150.00

Leaning towards the Okna 800 right now.

I checked with both Okna and Soft-lite about the installation (insulation) method. They both said that either method is fine (low expansion injected foam vs fiberglass insulation). They both work equally well. Folks prefer the low expansion injected foam these days because it is easier to install but they work equally well.

Only issue now with the Okna windows is the lead time ... 20 weeks plus. :( Ouch!

Going to wait for one more quote for the Vytex Fortis and then decide which one we will go with.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I was totally lost without them.

Thank You!

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think your logic is solid there. Can't beat that combo.

They are probably overstating it at 20 weeks, but better safe than sorry.

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Manufacturers delivery dates for many are now merely an guesstimate that can change day to day.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Spot on comments from both WoW and Todd. Lead times are anybody's guess these days, and your dealer probably has some cushion in there based on that which is wise. Definitely a chance that you could see it sooner.