Vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HandyGal

Vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction windows

#1 Post by HandyGal »

My house currently has new construction vinyl windows with stucco siding, can i Install vinyl retrofit windows (Milgard z-bar) over my current windows? If so, what is the best way to install retrofit windows over them and how do i determine what size retrofit windows to order?

All my current windows are standard sizes, 35.5” x 47.5” exact frame size, 71.5” x 47.5” etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You would measure the smallest daylight opening of the existing frame. Then deduct a small amount for for clearance and wracking.

Is this stucco over frame or block?

I would most likely pull the whole frame, I think you won’t be happy with the visible glass loss in the frame jumb.

TheWindowNerd

HandyGal

#3 Post by HandyGal »

Thanks for your feedback! Its stucco over frame, and i dont want to break the stucco. Can I cutback some of the vinyl and put a retrofit window right over the old vinyl frame? As long as the zbar frame covers the exterior of the original window entirely, i dont see why it cant be done?

HandyGal

#4 Post by HandyGal »

Thanks for your feedback! Its stucco over frame, and i dont want to break the stucco. Can I cutback some of the vinyl and put a retrofit window right over the old vinyl frame? As long as the zbar frame covers the exterior of the original window entirely, i dont see why it cant be done?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any pictures...? The short answer is that anything is possible.