Pure Core Platinum windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
runningman20

Pure Core Platinum windows

#1 Post by runningman20 »

Hello everyone, thanks for all the information on this forum! I have a home built in 1990 that has wood windows (Avon?) and they need to be replaced, at least some of them do. I have quite a few large casements that are also tempered. I'll have to get some measurements but have had a few people out to give me quotes. From what I've read it sounds like Sunrise makes a nice vinyl casement. I had a gentleman come out yesterday that sells Sunrise but was really trying to sell "their" brand window, Pure Core Platinum composite with triple pane glass. Apparently these are made by Sunrise and sold strictly through them? They did look nice but I haven't been able to find any information about them. He did go through the typical sales techniques but I absolutely research everything before buying. I wondered if anyone has heard of these and what your thoughts were? He said there was a 50 year transferable warranty with the composite and only a 10 year on the regular Sunrise vinyl. I'm in SE Michigan btw, thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Pure Core Platinum windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Private label in all likelihood. Doesn't mean its a bad thing, just means that he is trying to create some market separation between him and everyone selling Sunrise casements, while mostly selling the same thing.

runningman20

#3 Post by runningman20 »

Thanks for the reply! I tried searching but didn't see anything about Sunrise manufacturing composite windows so wasn't sure. The sales rep also mentioned that Sunrise windows only had a 10 year warranty but the Sunrise site states a lifetime warranty?

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

Sunrise is lifetime. The 10 year is most likely for labor.

runningman20

#5 Post by runningman20 »

Thank you, I'll have to ask more questions. He mentioned two years for labor but I need to confirm all of that. I will get some measurements also and post that info with the quote, it didn't sound too bad after he finally got done with all the bs stuff.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd dig into this a little more. Could very well be a private labeled Sunrise, but calling it "composite" is a bit of a stretch if that is the case. On the website it seems to describe the run of the mill Sunrise vinyl model hierarchy... That's not to say that they may not be offering a window that isn't on the website though either, so get some more info on that. If you need help deciphering feel free to post back with it.

runningman20

#7 Post by runningman20 »

Thanks HomeSealed! Yeah I am going to call and try to get more information. It seemed strange that he didn't have a brochure or anything. I received an email from a Soft-Lite dealer near me and will also get a quote from them. It sounds like Sunrise has a better casement from what I've been reading? Just for reference I was quoted 6,950 for 6 windows that are roughly 23x74, two are casement and all are tempered. He started a little over 10k, does that sound reasonable for these?
Attachments
windowresize.jpg
(53.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet

runningman20

#8 Post by runningman20 »

Also here is a link with information on the Sunrise site regarding these particular windows and it does mention foam filled, fiberglass reinforced frame although I'm not sure if that is standard on their regular vinyl windows.

https://info.sunrisewindows.com/pure-energy

Looks like it may just be their Restorations line? Salesperson sent me that information from one of their windows, they didn't have a casement available
Attachments
sticker.jpeg
(45.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

That appears to be the Restorations line.
Your pricing seems very considering there are all tempered, you sure about that?
Pricing would excellent it the window has the same glass pack as the one in the picture. All tempered, all triple pane and all Krypton are expensive add ons.
Technically almost any window could be called a composite but the Sunrise typically be called a vinyl or PVC window.

runningman20

#10 Post by runningman20 »

Thanks for the reply! I did mention that they needed to be tempered by code since they aren't far from the floor, I'll have to make sure. It is quoted as a triple pane, low e but with Argon instead of Krypton.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the 23" x 74" is close to right for frame size the probably do not have to be tempered, more than likely under 9 sq ft.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Few thoughts:
- As Todd said, anyone could call almost any window "composite", but its pretty disingenuous in this case. The intent of doing so would be for no other reason than to try and make consumers think that it is not a vinyl window, which is untrue. Not saying that this needs to be a disqualifier, but its a check mark against them.

-The price is very aggressive if that is tempered, triple pane.

- It's been a while since I've seen a Sunrise size chart, but I'd ask the rep to double check that the window can be made in that size with both tempered and triple pane. That's a large window with heavy glass. Most manufacturers have a cut off for double pane, another for triple pane, and yet another for triple tempered based on the weight.

- On tempered, it will be right on the borderline of the 9 sq ft depending as nerd alluded to. Depends on the exact window size and also the window model chosen, as a thinner framed window like Sunrise has more glass than something like the Softlite casement. Also keep in mind though that even if it comes in slightly under, its still not a bad idea for safety reasons which is the intent of the code in the first place. We always recommend tempered in windows close to the floor, particularly if there are kids and dogs, and that's considering that in WI our state code doesn't require it at all regardless of the sq ft.

runningman20

#13 Post by runningman20 »

Thanks HomeSealed!

Yeah I guess I just assumed it had to have tempered since the one that broke was some type of safety glass but you're right. It would definitely be a good idea, a bunch of the windows are very low to the floor. About how much does tempered add to the cost per window?

I still need to have a Soft-Lite dealer out for some quotes, would you recommend the Sunrise over their window? Specifically casements, they seem to be the most recommended for those in vinyl.

Thanks!

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

I’d guess tempered glass would add $100-$200 per window. The Soft-Lite would be comparable in specs and quality. The Sunrise has a slimmer frame which many like.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Tempered is generally priced per sq ft so it can vary by window, but also by company as some just choose a "happy medium" price. It is not cheap, probably something like $100+ on the lower end but pushing a few hundred in some cases.

As far as products, that's correct, I prefer the Sunrise casement over Softlite. In double hung and slider, I like the Softlite Elements/LS better.