Help in Deciding Windows NC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jfriz

Help in Deciding Windows NC

#1 Post by jfriz »

All - needing some guidance on my options.

I live in central NC and looking to replace 29 double hung windows and one 3 picture window setup where one large with half round top is flanked by two smaller windows. I actually have a larger scope of work than windows, which is new siding on the rear of the house, fixing a roof leak over my porch from a botched fly by night roofer the previous owner used, full paint job, and new gutters.

As an aside I don’t like the look of aluminum cladding (I understand the benefits) over time with denting etc. I asked all the contractors for options and all said to minimize maintenance I can replace just rotten or all trim with pvc.

Option 1 - Provia Aspect AP500 with comfortech DLA, thermal sash reinforcement, & rollform bottom screen
29 double hung
For the picture window setup they suggest keeping the same 3 window layout. I think this won’t look great because the side windows are only 12 in wide. Seems like a lot of frame to not much glass.
They will do the whole project and are a highly regarded contractor with many stellar reviews over the last 15 years. I’ve used them multiple times for a provia door install, ez breeze windows and a new deck. All great work. They only do exterior work.
10 year workmanship warranty
Will replace 3 full sills and do PVC brick molds and sill nose for all windows.
Total cost 29,766 including tax

Option 2 - Okna 500dx
29 double hung
Picture window - they had another idea to do 1 large picture window with a half round mulled to connect. They will install flex trim all around on that.
Won’t do full project unless I put new siding on the whole house and won’t touch my roof leak
Highly regarded company has been in business for a long time with many great reviews, but only 1 in the last year. They did install windows at my Dad’s house about 4 years ago and the job looks great with no issues.
Was not a push sales guy, but did share an email with me from Okna that he had received that morning saying a cost increase goes into effect on Friday October 15th. My quote is only good for 3 days. Is that strange or just a sign of the times?
Total cost with same trim work $25,058 including tax

Option 3 - Okna 600
29 double hun
Will do the either option with the picture window setup
Will do the full project but the other work is at a premium price point
Highly regarded company has been in business for a long time and has really stellar reviews. They did work at my last house and were great.
Total cost with same trim work $29,529 including tax

Option 4 - Okna 800 - not a full quote yet but have an appointment next week
They only do full replacements but I will have to paint new interior trim on my own.
Won’t do any of the rest of the project work
Highly regarded company with nothing but stellar reviews
Estimated total cost as this was done over the phone/email ~$36,000

My questions:
I know you are going to say go with an Okna but is the 600 or 800 series worth the bumps in price?
If I’m replacing all of this trim work should I be doing the full replacement 800s? This puts me over my budget for the other work that is pressing, but I want to do this right one time.
Do you think it is fair to have one contractor do my windows and another contractor to do the remaining work?

HomeSealed

Re: Help in Deciding Windows NC

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Dropping the Provia option seems to be a no-brainer here, that isn't even their higher end product which would still be a step down.

As far as your other options. I have a few thoughts:

1) Why have you and your family used so many different contractors for the same type of work? This business is such a crapshoot, if I got decent service, quality, and value from one, you are kind of playing Russian roulette by testing others.

2) Based on your choices, the 600 sounds like a nice choice. You have used them before, they have stellar reviews, and it is indeed an upgraded product over the 500. Also nice that they will do the rest of the project. The 800 is the best window of the bunch, but it would be wise to weigh the product difference against the other factors involved (company history and reputation, price, and your other work needed).

3) A partial siding job and roof repair aren't going to be taken on by many window and door specialty companies these days (even if they do roofing and siding). What you are finding will be par for the course in that you'll find either a premium for those services, or they'll only do a full project. There are two reasons for this, one being a backlog of work throughout the industry, and the other being that nobody wants to "buy" issues related to someone else's shotty work.

4) Lastly, regarding the price increase, yes, that is a sign of the times. Last week I walked out of a sales meeting having told my reps that I hoped we wouldn't have another increase for the remainder of the year, only to get another increase letter from a manufacturer a few days later. Price increases and delays are the name of the game these days.

jfriz

#3 Post by jfriz »

Thanks @Homesealed for the response.

It has not been intentional using many different contractors for different work. It has more been circumstance:
- Contractor number 1 would be getting all the work as we've done so many great projects with them, but they of course have a sub-par product in this case being the windows at a premium price. If they installed Okna's or another high quality window then as long as the price wasn't outlandish it would have been a no brainer

- Contractor 2 was someone my Dad had done work with and had success. It was one of the 3 Okna installers in the area and wanted more price comparison. They mentioned doing siding work but when they saw the scope being one side they said the job wasn't big enough.

- Contractor 3 was used at our old house that had vinyl siding. Wanted to use contractor 1 for that work but they don't do vinyl siding. They were great for that project, but in other areas some of their pricing has been far and above the most expensive. To your point it was probably priced that way for reasons you mentioned.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Gotcha.
Pending the results of #4, I'd still say that #3 sounds like a solid choice overall