Replacement Window Guidance for DFW

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RAMIII

Replacement Window Guidance for DFW

#1 Post by RAMIII »

Hello, I have been reading through this forum to get a sense of what windows you all recommend. I purchased a home that will be requiring a replacement of around 40 windows. Every company seems to have the "best" windows and it has become difficult to determine what company to trust. Here are the companies I have received quotes from, but I don't always know what windows they are using, although they all claim to use cardinal glass.
1. Thermal Windows ( make their windows)
2. Statewide Energy Solutions (make their own windows and they have great reviews in Dallas)
3. Burris (were first choice because a great contractor I use put them in his house, but leaning against them based upon info here, or have they improved?)
Based upon this site, I also plan to get quotes from NT, Sunrise (if they have a dealer in Dallas), and Zen windows.
I welcome any other suggestions folks may have for windows in Dallas. Is vinyl still the way to go or is aluminum a good choice?

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Window Guidance for DFW

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

In Dallas, Don Young Aluminum is still fine. You don't get many cold extreme temps there.

RAMIII

#3 Post by RAMIII »

Don young, I'll look into those as well, thank you. Does aluminum have a thinner profile?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes. Usually the thinnest.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Often in Dallas the windows are large single hung. Aluminum makes the large sizes easier to do.
Depending on the size and color thermally broken aluminum might be the best choice for you. It will have the narrowest profile, then fiberglass, then vinyl.

Yup, no one says my price is so high or so low because I represent leaky/drafty windows. Here in the North East it is easy to tell, look at the structural test result and find the air leakage test. That along with PG and company history will help you know where the cow pies are.

RAMIII

#6 Post by RAMIII »

Thanks for the suggestion. Where do I find info on the structural and air leakage test? Where can I find info about windows for thermal Windows and statewide Energy solutions? They claim to make their own windows and I presume this means they wouldn't be widely tested, but this may be an incorrect presumption.
Thanks for all the helpful guidance thus far!

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sometimes they indicate that they make their own but they do not, it is a private label made by a window mfg for the dealer.

Ask them for the structural test result for the models they are proposing.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Don Young in aluminum is on the cusp for making energy code even in Dallas. Aluminum is great but even being thermally broken their U-values
Are poor. If