---------------------------------------

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
blackbox

---------------------------------------

#1 Post by blackbox »

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by blackbox on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Softlite Imperial Elite vs Joyce Heritage

#2 Post by masterext »

As I said on the other board, Joyce make a pretty nice window and it seems to be well made.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Joyce is a good company.

Why all the stuff with the laminated and NEAT glass?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

No AL numbers on their website, usually that means they are embarrassed by how drafty the window is.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:24 pm No AL numbers on their website, usually that means they are embarrassed by how drafty the window is.
That’s the number I was looking for.
The only Place I found the air infiltration number was on another forum at 0.07. This information was apparently sent to the homeowner from Zen.
I have no problem with that rating but others often crucify it. If we are talking casements or sliders the numbers will be different of course.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

This is a tuffy.
I have not used SL for a decade, but left them due to poor QC. An installer I know that does high volume installs of SL says it is worse now.
I lean towards the lower AL, but would not want a lot of QC issues.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Is the dealer actually leaving them or just selling another line in addition to?

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It is tough to leave a MFG that you have had a long relationship with. But there many reasons.

Building that trust with another vendor takes time and energy.

Ask the owner for a heart to heart, "what would he put in his own house?"

Ricknez

#9 Post by Ricknez »

Joyce have been around for well over 40 years. If there were problems, they probably wouldnt be around today because they dont spend a lot of money on advertising.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

They do take an interesting approach since they are both a manufacture and and an installation company and they along with Soft-Lite sell to Zen.
I’ve never seen so little information out there before about a window company. Whatever is found mostly good but nothing great. I don’t think I’d give any special credit to them for what they do or don’t spend on advertising. I still think Soft-Lite is the clear winner since they are researchable with many outstanding recommendations, typically Joyce’s air infiltration numbers would be highly criticized here since they are comparable to Soft-Lites lower end windows even with there magna-seal. Soft-Lite has always been slightly unreliable with there lead times which may have hurt them to certain degree. Joyce May be the next big thing. But it’s all a little presumptive till we get some real feedback IMO.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Saying it performs like a window. With 0.05 air infiltration is a new one, Since I feel that it would be impossible to tell the difference I would have went with 0.01. Good luck with your purchase, make sure to follow up when it’s done.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd probably stick with the known commodity in the SL option, but the Joyce option isn't bad. I've seen the window(not installed it) and I don't believe that its on the same level as the SL Elite, but if the price is right, again its not a bad choice. The dealers I know that use it generally have it as a drop down from a flagship from SL, Okna, etc. The performance is a step down as is the price typically.

I do have to agree with Todd's assessment of the owner stating that the AI "feels more like .05", lol... If anything, that could discredit his recommendation. Maybe he really does prefer the Joyce, or maybe he switched because Joyce can get him windows a couple weeks faster or for a couple bucks less.... Or in the worst case, maybe SL was cutting him off for some reason (insufficient volume, poor payment history, etc). I'm not suggesting that any of these things is extraordinarily likely, but just that the recommendations should be taken for what they're worth, which is a bit less than one from folks with no skin in the game.

Not trying to cast any major doubt on your decision, if you've already locked this in I'd reiterate that once again, its not a bad choice.

fridge2020

#13 Post by fridge2020 »

With all due respect, this is the same feedback that comes from 99% of low-priced buyers shortly after installation. Nice upgrade from the crappy old windows and saved a bunch of money, Dave Ramsey would be proud!
5-10 years down the road will tell the real story, sometimes even sooner. I don't hate that window, but its a hefty step down from your other choice.

fridge2020

#14 Post by fridge2020 »

blackbox wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:45 pm
I simply said that after they were installed I'd come back and tell my thoughts. I guess I could put a note on my calendar for 10 years out and circle back around then, but I doubt anyone would care at that point.
You probably won't need a reminder since the windows themselves will remind you around that time. Kinda like when you don't need to set your alarm because your body is used to waking up at the same time. They'll just tell you: Its time right around 10 years.
In all seriousness, I'm not trying to crap on your purchase, but you get what you pay for. I don't know the guys that are recommended here all that well, but I know enough to say that none of them are unfair in their pricing practices and they care about this industry, so you probably gave something up in that area as well as the window choice. Having some behind the scenes industry knowledge, I can tell you that the owner of this company is blatantly lying about his "reasons", and bs'ing about some other stuff too ("feels like .05", lol?)
If you were pitched Advanced windows out of Chicago you must be in the midwest, meaning that the 366 glass that he gave you was a bad choice. I can take a wild guess about why the guy would want to sell you these, and its because they cost him a lot less than Softlites. That's a fact.
I honestly hope everything turns out well for you, just can't give you a pat on the back here, sounds more like you've been swindled despite the efforts of the guys here trying to help.

blackbox

--------------------------------------

#15 Post by blackbox »

At this point I’m sorry I came here and followed up. I said I’d check back in and let people here know what I thought of the purchase. I’m not a window person or even a tradesman, so I’m not really part of this community. I thought I was being nice by telling people what I thought, and if anyone had any questions about them I would have been willing to take pictures and such. But, I think I’m done here. If I do have to buy new windows in 10 years as you said then I’ll give that #2 vendor a shot. If not, I’ll keep the ones I bought.