Replacement Windows in Austin TX

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gtown

Replacement Windows in Austin TX

#1 Post by gtown »

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of replacing 13 windows in my 30+ year old house (Austin, TX).

Randy was kind enough to visit with me about window options, even though he does not service my area. He turned me on to Don Young's aluminum windows (We want black frames, and like the aesthetic of these windows).

I've gotten three bids for Don Young Aluminum replacement windows (mix of single-hung, sliders, and picture windows):

#1 - $16,300
#2 - $17,200
#3 - $19,300

Contractor's #1 and #2 (Both 4 to 5 star yelp contractors) sent out sales people that were reasonably knowledgeable about windows/install. Neither were confident on how to deal with the plantation shutters on the majority of my windows. They both also said the installers who would come later to re-measure my windows could field some of my install questions.

Contractor #3 was the business owner and came out in person to do the estimate. She was able to answer all my window/install questions and had solutions for the plantation shutters (and even went further in depth on the install of some of the bigger and more difficult windows).

Contractor #3 was the best, and also came back with the highest bid. See Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/baozxdyspyy1k ... e.jpg?dl=0

I don't mind paying more for a better contractor, but does this bid ($19,300) look appropriate for what I am getting?

Thanks in advance!

randy

Re: Replacement Windows in Austin TX

#2 Post by randy »

Sorry if you’ve already answered these questions.

1. What is the exterior cladding material on your home - brick, rock, siding, stucco?

2. Do you currently have single pane aluminum windows?

gtown

#3 Post by gtown »

Combination of Rock and Siding:

3 windows in siding
4 windows with siding on top & sides and rock on the bottom
6 windows in rock

Currently have double pane single hung windows for all 13.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Thanks.

Your current windows most likely have a jamb depth of around 2”. The new DY aluminum windows will have a jamb depth of 2 ¾”, so I don’t think the shutters will be a problem at all. They won’t need to be removed, since you can swing them in out of the way. Is there something I’m missing in that regard?

gtown

#5 Post by gtown »

That is accurate on the shutters in terms of install… last window guy I had out confirmed that.

I’m curious if these bids seem accurate… There is a $3000 gap between lowest and highest on the same product and install.

I linked the highest bid in that drop-box link.

Randy - Do you have a window guy in the Austin area you recommend?

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I don’t know any contractors in Austin that I can recommend. Sorry.

The price disparity can often be explained by cost of overhead. If you like the contractor with the highest price, why not call them and go over the numbers - asking if they would be willing to negotiate a little? See if you can come together on a number that makes sense for both of you.

gtown

#7 Post by gtown »

Thanks Randy! I appreciate your feedback... If any of my Houston kin needs windows... I'll send them your way!

randy

#8 Post by randy »

You’re welcome. Don’t hesitate to reach out if I can be of further assistance.

BobBeau

#9 Post by BobBeau »

I know I'm a little late to the party but I used to sell the Don Young aluminum window here in Louisiana. It's an excellent aluminum window with a thermally broken frame and sash. The prices you've been quoted look on the high side. The highest quote is at $15 per united inch which is, in my opinion, outrageous! For reference, I would try to find a company that sells NT windows. NT is in Texas and also has a thermally broken aluminum window that can be had in bronze as well. Don Young no longer sells to Louisiana so we switched to the NT 'twinsulator' which is comparable to the Don Young aluminum window. The new windows, having a wider jamb depth, will most likely require cutting back the sheetrock on the interior to allow for the additional depth. I would keep shopping if you haven't purchased already.