Large home - 36 windows plus sliding glass door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cpt_duo

Large home - 36 windows plus sliding glass door

#1 Post by cpt_duo »

Hi all!

I'm doing a full window replacement for a 3000+ sq foot house, SE Mich. 36 windows and a sliding glass door (9 foot). Trying to get an idea on a legitimate price since estimates are all over the map, and I always feel like companies charge more based on the zip code.

The two best prices came from companies that are relatively highly rated (4.7 and 4.9 out of 5) but both used the scummy sales tactics to come up with a price. (Others were 60k or more)

I have one quote for triple-pane Sunrise composite windows, with the "we can add this to a bigger order" pitch after I balked at a higher quote, for $55,000.

Another for vinyl from Pella - got the "we can only give you this price today" quote which is surely BS, for double pane, was 48,000. Really thought the salesman here was a jerk to be honest. Also got their helpful list of how much competitors would cost, which were all much much higher.

The lack of transparency in this market is frustrating to say the least.

Are either of these in the ballpark or am I getting screwed?

Thank you so much.

Windows on Washington

Re: Large home - 36 windows plus sliding glass door

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of windows are coming out? Vinyl, wood, metal?

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

So far Sunrise is a clear winner over pella. What series Sunrise was it? I didnt know they offered a composite.

cpt_duo

#4 Post by cpt_duo »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:08 pm What kind of windows are coming out? Vinyl, wood, metal?
Existing windows are wood.

cpt_duo

#5 Post by cpt_duo »

Ricknez wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:34 pm So far Sunrise is a clear winner over pella. What series Sunrise was it? I didnt know they offered a composite.
Something I'm now worried about. It's a private label made by Sunrise, called Pure Core Platinum.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why does a private label bother you? Pretty normal process to carve out territories and exclusivity on a given set of options.

cpt_duo

#7 Post by cpt_duo »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:58 am Why does a private label bother you? Pretty normal process to carve out territories and exclusivity on a given set of options.
I saw another thread on here about Pure Core Platinum suggesting that it wasn't a true composite - they specifically said that Sunrise makes their windows, and you're saying Sunrise doesn't make composites. But that's what they told me it would be.

Apart from that, does the price quote seem excessive? Is it more expensive to switch from wood windows to vinyl/composite?

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've been with Sunrise since 2004 and have never heard of them manufacturing a composite window other than the cellular PVC platform that part of the short lived acquisition of Paragon Doors. That lasted for only a few years and Sunrise decided to kill off owning an entry door company. Their sash reinforcement is still fiberglass from what I know? It's rare that I place an order with Sunrise due to the cost verses value of the product compared to my other offerings. I like the product though.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have not provided enough of a scope of product or scope of work for anyone to guesstimate with you.
What style DH, CA, etc. What about sizes, colors, other options and specifications. How old is the house.
Are you doing insert install or full frame full tear out?
We might be 41k for 800 dx as insert to 81K for full frame Essential or more for Elevate.

Ricknez

#10 Post by Ricknez »

Their Sunrise offering ( pure core platinum) is a good window.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above.

- Sunrise doesn't currently offer a composite window to my knowledge. DM referenced the old THV/Paragon product, but as he said, I don't believe that is currently on the market. A vinyl window reinforced with another material could be definition be called "composite", but that is somewhat disingenuous given what the industry generally refers to as "composite" such as fibrex, variants of cellular pvc, etc.

- That fact not withstanding, that Sunrise window is good and the company seems to have a good reputation as well. The private label is not a bad thing at all, it means that the manufacturer values their business (volume, timely bill payment, reputation for quality, etc) at a high enough level to justify that extra expense to them. I would be careful about getting too wrapped up in the pricing games as long as they aren't egregious. For a company with a sales team, it does save them money to get deals done sooner, not to mention that the industry has price increases coming through in "week-based" intervals these days, no longer several months or annually.... and by egregious, I mean saving several thousand dollars by signing "today only", vs a reasonable discount that the company passes along for efficiency.

- As far as the price in general, as T.W. Nerd stated, its hard to say where that falls with specificity based on the lack of info offered surrounding other product options and install details. That said, it is definitely within the normal range for a reputable company these days. The price gouging types would be much higher even if that project had the most basic options.

runningman20

#12 Post by runningman20 »

Just wondering if you ended up going with the Pure Core Platinum windows? I still haven't pulled the trigger but they wanted to come out again to give me a quote so had a salesperson out last week. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough to get folks to post back up after years.

runningman20

#14 Post by runningman20 »

Yeah I noticed, this one wasn't that old though I don't think. I was hoping they may still be around, maybe we could get a volume discount :lol:

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Unless the discount is big...stuff probably still costs more today than it did when they posted. Ugh!!

:roll: