Sliding patio door options. Which is best?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
neeksimons

Sliding patio door options. Which is best?

#1 Post by neeksimons »

Hi I'm looking for a new sliding patio door for my home and have had a couple of quotes so far but don't know which one to go with so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. First thing the door is 96x80, the first quote I got was from HD for a Milgard trinsic v300 for $2,700 not including install, next was for Provia aspect for $5300 including install, next was for Alside climatech 366 for $4900-5600 depending on the style, and the same company who gave me a quote for Provia said they carry Marvin too and the price would be very similar to Provia but didn't tell me what Marvin door it would be. I'm gonna have another company come out and give me a Pella quote on friday but so far which ones would you go with and why? I want the best quality.

side not: all these are vinyl doors should I be looking for fiberglass and triple pane for best thermal efficiency or is vinyl fine? I live in Phoenix where temps can get 115 and up

neeksimons

Re: Sliding patio door options. Which is best?

#2 Post by neeksimons »

Got another quote for Milgard ultra 650 fiberglass in black for for $5400

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't have Marvin high on my list for my Wisconsin climate due to being somewhat drafty, but in your neck of the woods it may be your best option. Triple pane glass is never bad in and of itself, but going back to your region once again, the ROI will definitely be less than it would be in colder areas. You can likely find double pane glass with similar SHGC ratings which is more important for you.

neeksimons

#4 Post by neeksimons »

HomeSealed wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:28 pm I don't have Marvin high on my list for my Wisconsin climate due to being somewhat drafty, but in your neck of the woods it may be your best option. Triple pane glass is never bad in and of itself, but going back to your region once again, the ROI will definitely be less than it would be in colder areas. You can likely find double pane glass with similar SHGC ratings which is more important for you.

Which one is more important for hot climates? Roi or shgc?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

ROI is return on investment, so shgc, u value, and other factors will play a part in that.

To answer the question that I think you are asking, U value (along with air leakage) is the highest priority in cooler climates as it is mitigating heat loss, whereas SHGC takes on that primary role in hot regions as blocking the solar heat is the number one objective.

All of the ratings are relevant regardless of your location, its just that the weight of each switches up a bit. There are other factors that can come in to play based on the design and orientation of the home, as well as how those ratings can be indicators of quality, however generally speaking I'd reiterate that the added expense for triple pane isn't doesn't offer the same return for your climate, as the SHGC is more important and desirable levels can be achieved with double pane.

neeksimons

#6 Post by neeksimons »

Bump anyone else?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In black exterior I would go with Marvin Elevate. The AL is bad.

I also like the Pella Lifestlyes triple pane, you can do several different blinds/shades between the glass. The factor installed rolscreen can be great too.

theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Did I miss where the home is located?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It is in the initial post. Phoenix