Replacement choices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fortension

Replacement choices

#1 Post by fortension »

I've got a variety of quotes to replace 8 double hung windows. The install is relatively simple and all quotes include lead-safe work and exterior capping. All glass packages are similar - coated double pane. I'm in central Ohio, so area 4, but close to area 3. Triple pane is probably overkill here. I'll price it out per window here:

Vytex Fortis - $685
Revere Berkshire Elite - $740
Provia Aspect - $600
Soft-Lite Classic Plus (Zen Nirvana) - $840
Soft-Lite Barrington - $750

The one Okna installer is a bigger construction company and they're 6 months out now. It's tough to get on their schedule to talk.

All installers are rated at least reasonably well. I'll do more digging when I narrow it down to the final 2.

I'm wondering which quotes look best on paper (holding install quality the same) and if there are any upgrades that would be worth exploring. Thanks.

toddinmn

Re: Replacement choices

#2 Post by toddinmn »

My vote is the Fortis.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Lead safe install and window is $685? How is that sustainable? The Fortis is my pick from that list as well, but I don't how that number equates to business longevity.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree Fortis.
Get alternate quote for their next level up, HP Potomac.
theWindowNerd

fortension

#5 Post by fortension »

I appreciate the comments. The Fortis was my leading contender too. I'll see what the variations might cost next week.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Did you get pricing for the other model yet?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The Fortis is the only window on this list that I'd consider personally. That said, I agree with WoW, that pricing itself is a red flag-- especially for that window. I'd have major reservations.

Lastly, I would not run from a 6 month lead time if a company has a great product and great reputation.

1) A back log says something positive about people wanting to do business with them

2) It tells me that they are the type of company that won't blow smoke up your rear just to get a sale. In fact, they are probably an "under-promise, over-deliver" type. Its really easy for someone to say, Yeah, 8-10 weeks no problem, and then later on down the road it turns into 20 weeks. If it sounds too good to be true... you know the rest.

fortension

#8 Post by fortension »

I got the Potomac pricing. That's coming in at $849 per.

I also spoke with the last company that used to be the local Okna dealer/installer. Okna decided to not directly distribute to central Ohio any longer and the installer would have to pick up the windows in Akron. So they to have switched to Provia. They do the Provia Endure at $810 per.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Ricknez

#9 Post by Ricknez »

I think the potomac represents the best value here. I like it better than the provia.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The HP Potomac is a very nice window. Looks great, performs great.