Simonton 5050 dark and green

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
brightandairy

Simonton 5050 dark and green

#1 Post by brightandairy »

Hi - We are preparing to replace 31 windows with vinyl double hung and 5 large picture windows. We live in NC and currently have the original single pane 1960s wooden windows in our home. We have been recommended a local installer by multiple people. The installer has a good reputation for being easy to work with, being on time, doing a proper install, and cleaning up afterwards. He has many decades of experience.

The installer quoted us Simonton 5050s at $475 each for the double hung and $525 each for the picture windows. I believe that he installs these windows almost exclusively (total $16825). We have looked at some on his other installs in the neighborhood as well as looked at his personal home which also has the 5050s. On some of the installs, the windows look extremely dark and have that greenish tint due to the low e coating, which I really do not like. It seems like in other places I do not notice it as much and would be satisfied with this window. I really like this installer and he says that he can install any window on the market. I definitely do not like the full screens over the 5050s as that definitely makes the windows much too dark for my taste, but we may order them and just not have them installed (put in attic in case we change our mind or install only on back of house).

This is a large investment for us and we plan to live in this home for 13+ years at least. Do the 5050s have two low e coatings? If so, could they be ordered with one coating and the effect be lessened? I would like the energy star rating but I am more keen to have a window that I liked visually rather than increased energy efficiency.

I've tried to evaluate other windows, but am finding it hard to make such a large purchase based on internet pictures/reviews. Any advice would be appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 5050 dark and green

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What glass did he specify in the windows?

Based on the data point that he is using the 5050 as his "go to" product, I am going out on a limb here and guessing that he doesn't know a whole bunch about glass specifications and what is a proper Low-e range for your climate.

Where in NC are you located by the way.

If he used a Low-e 366, they will have slightly "greener & darker" outward appearance. As well as being a bit more reflective too.

brightandairy

#3 Post by brightandairy »

He did not specify a glass in his quote. I am in Eastern NC (inner coastal plain). Is there a list of glass specification options for the 5050? I realize that this Simonton model is considered lower end in quality and am aware that the frames are larger than some other brands, but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info on the internet and don't know another window brand/model to specifically ask for, especially without seeing them in person.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

This would be a fine deal on an entry level window 10 years ago. Today, it's still an entry level window, and the only guys installing windows at $500 each are probably raiding your jewelry box and sleep in their truck. That is not a sustainable price even for a one man show...

The fact that this is his "go-to" window also shows that he's not a great resource when it comes to window quality and performance as WOW already pointed out. Its great that he comes recommended, but there are some major, MAJOR red flags and the tint of the glass is the least of them.

brightandairy

#5 Post by brightandairy »

Well, he certainly isn't sleeping in his truck or raiding our jewelry box. As mentioned, I have been to his very nice waterfront home to look at his windows (same model up close) and met his family. He is a neighbor in a small town with multiple mutual friends. His character is not in question, just the windows that he has originally quoted me...

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

It's not a great window and you should be able to look at one of the serial number stickers on his and see what glass he went with. Low-e 366 is not a necessary range for this/your climate.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

brightandairy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:50 am Well, he certainly isn't sleeping in his truck or raiding our jewelry box. As mentioned, I have been to his very nice waterfront home to look at his windows (same model up close) and met his family. He is a neighbor in a small town with multiple mutual friends. His character is not in question, just the windows that he has originally quoted me...
Well I can tell you that he certainly isn't paying for a waterfront home by selling installed windows below raw cost either. Not sure what else to say that hasn't already been said. Not a recommended window and the installer has major red flags as well. At best, I'd have to assume that he must provide other services and windows are an afterthought for him... Either way, take the advice for whatever its worth to you. I'd wager that if you were to get quotes from 3 other established, reputable companies in town you would see why caution is advised.

brightandairy

#8 Post by brightandairy »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:05 pm It's not a great window and you should be able to look at one of the serial number stickers on his and see what glass he went with. Low-e 366 is not a necessary range for this/your climate.
Thank you kindly for your help. To determine whether a particular window meets the energy star requirements from my location, do I use the total unit value or the center of glass value for U factor and SHGC?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Total unit. COG numbers are only good for comparisons on glass performance from glass pack to glass pack.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

At minimum I would suggest the 5500.