Non-Removable Jamb Liner

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cdwebb0

Non-Removable Jamb Liner

#1 Post by cdwebb0 »

Help! I'm in the process of getting quotes to replace my vinyl clad Louisiana-Pacific windows (Model: Arlington, Year: 1998). I have been informed that the jamb liners do not come out and are not of the compression type which is posing a difficult replacement for these windows.

I'm having a hard time finding any information regarding LP windows and replacements.

Have you seen where the jamb liners are non-removable?
Or is there a specific way to remove them?

Windows on Washington

Re: Non-Removable Jamb Liner

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Everything is removable. The question is what does it take or is it even really feasible.

How about some pictures.

Arlington, VA...or Texas?

cdwebb0

#3 Post by cdwebb0 »

The window model name is Arlington and the date code is 1998. I’ve added some links below with images of the jamb liner. I’m not sure if I need to remove interior trim to find why the liner is not coming out?

https://ibb.co/K7GxY6Y
https://ibb.co/kMyMvGK
https://ibb.co/vDZHbtc

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/how-to-v ... jamb-liner
Not sure the same but they will come out something like this. There is no need to remove them to measure the windows, I’d be Leary if a window contractor couldn’t figure it out.

cdwebb0

#5 Post by cdwebb0 »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:23 pm https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/how-to-v ... jamb-liner
Not sure the same but they will come out something like this. There is no need to remove them to measure the windows, I’d be Leary if a window contractor couldn’t figure it out.
The liners are not coming out like shown in the video. I wish it were that easy, but they’re not compression type liners. I’ve had 2 contractors say they’re not removable?!

We’ve removed both sashes and tried to compress and remove with no luck. Something is holding them in place somewhere that is not visible.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

They are probably just Pressed into a kerf.
You will probably damage them and may not want to remove them. You could remove the casing and the filler piece to get behind it , but I don’t see the point in doing so until the windows are replaced.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you doing an insert installation by removing the interior stop? That exterior stop appears to be one of those extruded aluminum cladding units that either must be cut off, installed from the interior, or shrink the opening, to set a new window. If you are doing a sash kit, you will likely need to remove the interior stop for proper access as well.

cdwebb0

#8 Post by cdwebb0 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:20 pm Are you doing an insert installation by removing the interior stop? That exterior stop appears to be one of those extruded aluminum cladding units that either must be cut off, installed from the interior, or shrink the opening, to set a new window. If you are doing a sash kit, you will likely need to remove the interior stop for proper access as well.
Sorry, I’m not sure what the interior or exterior stops are?

Was looking for replacement windows such as Polaris or VinylMax. But if we cannot remove the jamb liners it may change the installation possibilities. Not to mention a much smaller window.

I don’t believe I’m able to replace only sashes for these windows. Does anyone make a direct sash replacement kit for LP?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With out being there and tearing it apart, maybe destroying it, it is hard to tell.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Take an 1/8" drill bit and drill a hole through the jamb to see if there is any wood behind it.
What if it is a vinyl frame with wood laminate.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

If that is a wood clad vinyl window you might need to get creative and maybe cut out the track extrusions to create your pocket. If that is not possible I’d Lear towards a full frame replacement. In the end you are limited to what contractors are willing to do unless you take it on yourself.

cdwebb0

#12 Post by cdwebb0 »

toddinmn wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:49 pm If that is a wood clad vinyl window you might need to get creative and maybe cut out the track extrusions to create your pocket. If that is not possible I’d Lear towards a full frame replacement. In the end you are limited to what contractors are willing to do unless you take it on yourself.
Yes, they are wood clad vinyl and I’m hoping I don’t have to go with full frame replacements. I have 22 of these windows. :|

cdwebb0

#13 Post by cdwebb0 »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:46 pm Take an 1/8" drill bit and drill a hole through the jamb to see if there is any wood behind it.
What if it is a vinyl frame with wood laminate.
The vinyl jamb liner has wood behind it. There are a few holes in the liner which look like they’re from manufacturing. There do not appear to be any screws in the holes.

Here is a new photo from today as I was able to get the sashes out and get a better look.

https://ibb.co/XtPmQ6n

The jamb liner does appear to move when I apply force, but there is definitely something holding it in place. The bottom has a seam that is not attached, but the liner looks like it is attached to the top of window frame.

I can also see a piece of vinyl behind the interior cherry wood trim around window that looks like it has a lip holding the liner behind the trim.

At this point I’m going to contact the builder who built a lot of the houses in my allotment and see if they have any idea, or if they have had other customers use these windows.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Looks to me like a welded vinyl frame with wood interior sashes. Hard to say that for certain without poking around at it (its not a window that I've personally come across), but its sounds like you've had a local pro or two out who have confirmed that.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

I think an insert can be done here. Unfortunately it appears you may have to demonstrate if it can be done, or not.