Flangless Install? No SuperSpacer for Milgard Classic

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
OyVay

Flangless Install? No SuperSpacer for Milgard Classic

#1 Post by OyVay »

We have made a decision and signed a contract but have 3 days to cancel. I've learned a few more things that I am now concerned about.

We have decided on Milgard Classic windows and the company we have decided on does flangless installs. They say this is very common and in the 15 years they have been in business have not had any leaks. This company is recommended by our energy company.

Another company I spoke with says that flangless installs are unacceptable and that they would NEVER do them. That the windows will DEFINTELY leak.

OyVay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any opinions on this?? From the internet searches I've done flangless seeems okay.

Also - we wanted the superspacer for the milgard classic but are told there is no such thing?????????

Thanks so much.

joe123

#2 Post by joe123 »

I have read many articles pro/con removing the aluminum frame.

I personaly hate that if you leave them, they take up way too much space. You end up loosing a lot of window area.

So, I found what I think is the perfect solution for me. I am leaving the frames because I want to use it to glue/caulk the frame to the new retro fit windows. BUT, I am cutting them to the point where they stick out very little, but yet enough area to put the caulk on.

A lot of work, but the results are very nice. This is why most contractors will talk you out of it - too much work for them. It's amazinly easy to not have to touch the frame.

mman

#3 Post by mman »

Looks to be I may be a day late, but you CAN get super spacer from Milgard. So just make sure to tell the person you ordered from to ask their Milgard factory rep. to take care of this for you. Good luck.

joe123

#4 Post by joe123 »

mman wrote:Looks to be I may be a day late, but you CAN get super spacer from Milgard. So just make sure to tell the person you ordered from to ask their Milgard factory rep. to take care of this for you. Good luck.
Hi.

The super spacer is only available back East. Here is sunny Southern California (yes, beautiful weahter), they don't offer those.

Joe

E-Z

#5 Post by E-Z »

joe123 wrote:. This is why most contractors will talk you out of it - too much work for them. It's amazinly easy to not have to touch the frame.
Joe we use to cut back the aluminum frames to gain more glass area for people. however you can only do that on some type of frames. In our case here in the bay area you can do it on "Likeit" brand windows(an old aluminum window made in Hayward California. It will say it on the lift handle.

Yes it is more work but the glass area gained is worth it.If i have to work more i charge for it so no worries there. the thing is that the majority of aluminum windows are machined mitered(butt joints) put together by 2 screws so sawing it off would vibrate the window to the point of possibly creating a leak in the future even if the window was "installed properly".

Just thought i clear the air about that. Funny how CONTRACTOR joined the rank of proffesions that give people the hibby jibbies like Lawyer or Insurance Salesman or Car Salesman.

E-z

mman

#6 Post by mman »

Just a point of clarification, Super Spacer is not available only in the East. I work in the Pacific NW and push the heck out of super spacer. I will check into it, but each and every plant that I am aware of can and will use super spacer if asked for.

pdxman1

#7 Post by pdxman1 »

mman wrote:Just a point of clarification, Super Spacer is not available only in the East. I work in the Pacific NW and push the heck out of super spacer. I will check into it, but each and every plant that I am aware of can and will use super spacer if asked for.
I got Milgard Classic with Super Spacer from the Tualatin Oregon factory. The installer said they don't usually do it, but I asked when I was at a factory show and tell event and they may have thought they would lose the sale if they didn't do it. My install is in day 2 - I'll post a review in the review section, once they are installed and everything is sorted out.