New construction vs Retro

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dcpete

New construction vs Retro

#1 Post by dcpete »

I appreciate the feedback so far on a possible scam I'm in the middle of. I'm actually appreciative of that quote in that I am now doing my homework and am much more knowledgeable than when I started. I've now come to a decision on new construction and would appreciate any feedback on my decision.

I have decided on Milgard vinyl, because the factory is close to where I live, they seem like quality windows that won't break the bank. The contractors around here (Bay Area, CA) seem to love them. This is for a kitchen project (5 windows in all, including a garden window).

I have chose double pane without Argon. It sounds like the moderate weather we have in the Bay Area doesn't warrant triple-pane. The argon filled gas seems like a very small incremental performance improvement and not worth the extra expense. I am also going for e squared coating.

I am replacing aluminum double-panes from 1985 vintage. The exterior is all stucco. It seems like this is a perfect candidate for retrofitting except that I am concerned about water leakage around the aluminum frames.

The whole kitchen project got started because I discovered a termite problem. I have replaced florring and subflooring, as well as the back door (likely termite entrance) and several studs in the walls. Compounding the damage was the fact that I could see water stains on the studs below each corner of one of the aluminum windows (next to the door). The termites had eaten up one of these studs and I have now replaced that stud.

This got me thinking that I really ought to replace these windows. My concern about retrofit windows is that the aluminum frame does not get replaced - and I have clear evidence it leaks. I have seen conflicting opinions about leaks with retrofit windows, but it seems in my case I should go back to the framing and install new construction windows. Just to be safe and sure.

I am also leaning towards doing the job myself. For one thing, I just don't think this is that big of a project. I have experience cutting windows out of stucco and doing stucco repair. In addition, the outside of the house needs painting anyway. The inside trim is not an issue either, I will probably do something different with it anyhow. My last window replacement job on another side of the house turned out pretty well. I have a lot of other projects going on with the kitchen remodel, which is why I was picking my battles and hoping to contract this job out. But it does seem like I can save significant money by doing it myself. Although contracting out is not off the table yet.

The garden window is a bigger job since I will be making it taller (in affect, lowering it) so I can level it off with the new granite backsplash that is part of a new granite countertop. I intend to line the bottom of the garden window with matching granite. So this window needs to be reframed at the bottom and supported well for extra weight.

Comments?

Chris