Okna 500 vs 600 series

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
caroleK

Okna 500 vs 600 series

#1 Post by caroleK »

I have estimates for 28 windows of around 19 k for the 500 series and from another vendor for 23 k for the 600 series. Is the 600 worth the extra cost?

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 500 vs 600 series

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same vendor? How do the two vendors compare?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.

Is the 600 better, yes.

Is the price difference worth it? ... that gets a little tougher based only on product. Are options the same (ie: DX, non-DX, etc)?

If these are two different companies, I'd look a bit closer at each company to help decide as well.

The 600 quote sounds like a nice price, the 500 may be running a bit lower than most, so keep that in mind as well for better or worse.

Pratul2

#4 Post by Pratul2 »

I would suggest getting quotes for both windows from both installers. Then pick the window-installer combo you like best.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Pratul2 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:12 pm I would suggest getting quotes for both windows from both installers. Then pick the window-installer combo you like best.
This is good advice, although there is a fair chance that each installer does not have access to the line that the other offers. Most dealer-direct manufacturers operate in a similar method where each dealer in a given market has one or two models available that the other(s) do not. Its not always the case, but often enough.

owenj7920

#6 Post by owenj7920 »

I am also very much keen to know the difference between two things, so I have researched a lot. And I have jotted down various important things and I am writing those down -
The Okna 600 series is stronger and has structural reinforcement but many people forget it also has a few other features the 500 does not have: The sill interlock and an interlocking header. I'm a structural guy and really like these enhanced engineering features as they make the window feel nice and strong.
I also want to know more things related to the best, but I am unable to find that. It sill interlock adds structural integrity and helps prevent water and air infiltration at the sill.
The interlocking header prevents the top sash from falling and drifting down when left unlocked which prevents insects, air, and water from coming in. It also serves as a security feature as well.
Obviously, the structural reinforcement prevents the window from bowing and deflecting while adding strength.
There are actually a few differences between the 500 and 600 as opposed to just one difference.
The Sunseal 5527 from Okna is a bit dark for me. Standard 7138 from Okna is going to cut down the solar heat gain by more than 2X over standard double pane glass. That is usually enough for most folks not in Florida, Texas, or Arizona.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

owenj7920 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:11 am I am also very much keen to know the difference between two things, so I have researched a lot. And I have jotted down various important things and I am writing those down -
The Okna 600 series is stronger and has structural reinforcement but many people forget it also has a few other features the 500 does not have: The sill interlock and an interlocking header. I'm a structural guy and really like these enhanced engineering features as they make the window feel nice and strong.
I also want to know more things related to the best, but I am unable to find that. It sill interlock adds structural integrity and helps prevent water and air infiltration at the sill.
The interlocking header prevents the top sash from falling and drifting down when left unlocked which prevents insects, air, and water from coming in. It also serves as a security feature as well.
Obviously, the structural reinforcement prevents the window from bowing and deflecting while adding strength.
There are actually a few differences between the 500 and 600 as opposed to just one difference.
The Sunseal 5527 from Okna is a bit dark for me. Standard 7138 from Okna is going to cut down the solar heat gain by more than 2X over standard double pane glass. That is usually enough for most folks not in Florida, Texas, or Arizona.
Few things to clear up there Owen:
- There is no "interlocking header" nor is there anything different from the 500 in that area. The 600 has the same "lip" in the head jamb that helps prevent sash drift. It catches the weatherstripping on the sash. Simple, clever, effective, not unique, at least not among Okna products.

- There is a sill "interlock" that is a nice feature. It doesn't result in a measurable difference in DP or air infiltration as evidenced by the ratings, however its a nice improvement nonetheless. As mentioned above, the 600 is indeed a better window and you are correct that there is more than one difference. I was somewhat skeptical of this model when it was introduced, but it has shown to be a nice option between the 500 and 800.

What other info are you looking for? If you are interested in the "Best" as you mentioned, the Starmark Evo and Himark that Okna offers are truly marvels of engineering and the 800 is a great window as well. Don't get me wrong, the 500 and 600 are fantastic, just mentioning the others best on what you've shared.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am a 800DX fan. We start with it as our preferred product. To reinforce that and help more people get the 800DX, we only have a $50 difference between the 800 & 500.
In our region/market most dealers that sale the 800 are $159 more than our average price. We can afford to make a little less in that we have less overhead.
Since we start with the 800 and there is only a $50 drop to the 500, the 600 does not have much of a place for us.
theWindowNerd

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

The Okna 600 does in fact have an interlock in the header similar to the 800. The 500 does not have that feature, i have both the 500 and 600 in my showroom. The okna 600 also has a sill interlock and structural reinforcement which the 500 also does not have. Most guys that offer the 800 dont offer the 600 as the structural enhancements are virtually the same.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:41 am The Okna 600 does in fact have an interlock in the header similar to the 800. The 500 does not have that feature, i have both the 500 and 600 in my showroom. The okna 600 also has a sill interlock and structural reinforcement which the 500 also does not have. Most guys that offer the 800 dont offer the 600 as the structural enhancements are virtually the same.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you? When you say interlock, what exactly are you referring to? I see the same basic design in the head jamb on all three lines, but again maybe I'm missing something? I agree on the sill.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree that interlock is the wrong term for the anti sash drift feature on the window.
Brandon as far as I know the 500 does have the same anti sash drift function in the 500.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:55 am I agree that interlock is the wrong term for the anti sash drift feature on the window.
Brandon as far as I know the 500 does have the same anti sash drift function in the 500.
Agreed... just wondering if he's talking about some feature that I'm unaware of