Suggestions for Colorado at 6500 ft altitude?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
coloradoguy

Suggestions for Colorado at 6500 ft altitude?

#1 Post by coloradoguy »

I've been researching a bit and am looking for a good window with value pricing. Not wanting to buy an expensive brand name or buy cheap stuff. I'm reading about Schuco, Milgard, etc. Comments for who offers well made and priced right for double hung products in high altitude, dry climate... Colorado?

BTW, thanks for everyone's discussions. This board has been a great help so far !!!!

Windows on Washington

Re: Suggestions for Colorado at 6500 ft altitude?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

coloradoguy wrote:I've been researching a bit and am looking for a good window with value pricing. Not wanting to buy an expensive brand name or buy cheap stuff. I'm reading about Schuco, Milgard, etc. Comments for who offers well made and priced right for double hung products in high altitude, dry climate... Colorado?

BTW, thanks for everyone's discussions. This board has been a great help so far !!!!
Probably won't find "value" pricing within the Schuco lines, however, it is a very nice window. Unless you find a window that is made at altitude, you won't find a window that has argon/krypton fill that is available at your location.

Search around this board, you will find quite a bit of information.

Gardog

Try Amerimax

#3 Post by Gardog »

They are built in Loveland, CO and have some good dealers all along the Front Range.

Patty

Re:Suggestions for Colorado at 6500 ft altitude?

#4 Post by Patty »

Coloradoguy, did you decide on a brand of window? I'd be interested to know which and for what reason. I live in CO too and I would prefer to have argon and didn't know that was "complicated" till I started shopping. Some of the salesmen acted like they were telling me a big secret by saying something like "oh let me save you some $ it will be gone in a few years so why bother". Some said they could put it in for me but it's not their normal routine (thus I have to wonder how good a fill it would be).
So far, my understanding is the following brands would be made locally such that I could have argon fill w/o worrying about tubes: Champion, Accent, Milgard. Enercon can add it but it's not their norm. The guy at Champion gave me this really good description of how they do it and how they ensure it is done well - if that is accurate it sounded like a good procedure.

Also, have you (or anyone else reading this) come across any good information regarding which vinyls hold up best to our intense UV rays? Someone told me "vinyl is vinyl". Is the vinyl of one company the same vinyl of another? One Milgard guy said there were 3 major vinyl produces in the US, one was Milgard (that didn't sell their vinyl to other window manufacturers) and the other 2 supplied the rest of the window manufacturers. If that is the case it would seem there is not much variation in vinyl between brands?

Thanks for any insight!