ThermaStar by Pella Reviews, Prices & Information

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
daveyd

ThermaStar by Pella Reviews, Prices & Information

#1 Post by daveyd »

I am replacing 17 windows. The house was built in 1966 and have old wooden single pane double hung windows with storm windows. They are so noisy and rattle constantly...especially when closing them I was wondering about other Pella Thermastar reviews.

I purchased 3 of the ThermaStar by Pella earlier this year before reading any reviews about them. I just "assumed" they were OK. My father inlaw and I installed them. They were pretty easy to install and took about 45 mins per window.

I am not going to be living in this house forever and wanted to buy replacemets to: 1. Replace the horrible old single pane windows without spending a ton of money. 2. Save some money on the gas/electric bill and 3. Add some resale value to the house.

I haven't really had any issues with the windows since we installed them in March of this year. My next step is to replace 7 more of the 17. Should I stick to the ThermaStar or is there a better choice for my goals?

daveyd

#2 Post by daveyd »

Anyone have any incite?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thermastars are pretty bottom barrel as far as quality products go. Depends on what your criteria is as to if that window fits in it. There are better windows out there for not much more money.

daveyd

#4 Post by daveyd »

I listed my criteria in my first post. I assume the ThermaStar's meet those. What would be a better options for my criteria and around the same price as the ThermaStars?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are other windows out there that fit that same criteria but I gues the Thermastars are okay. Heck, you can say that you put Pella windows in the house when you are done too. :roll:

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

And we all know how great Pella Windows are. At least according to their highly paid marketing dept. they are. :roll:

daveyd

#7 Post by daveyd »

Windows on Washington wrote:
daveyd wrote:I listed my criteria in my first post. I assume the ThermaStar's meet those. What would be a better options for my criteria and around the same price as the ThermaStars?
There are other windows out there that fit that same criteria but I gues the Thermastars are okay. Heck, you can say that you put Pella windows in the house when you are done too. :roll:
Nowadays, if I were to sell the house and say the house has all new Pella replacement windows, would that make much of a difference to the average Joe homebuyer?

I know replacement windows do help the value of the house but does "Pella" help the resale value additionally?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

daveyd wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:
daveyd wrote:I listed my criteria in my first post. I assume the ThermaStar's meet those. What would be a better options for my criteria and around the same price as the ThermaStars?
Nowadays, if I were to sell the house and say the house has all new Pella replacement windows, would that make much of a difference to the average Joe homebuyer?

I know replacement windows do help the value of the house but does "Pella" help the resale value additionally?
Average homeowner thinks that Pella are the top end windows. Informed homeowner knows otherwise.

No, I was joking about Pella being an improvement.

You have used them before and didn't have any problems with them and the Home Depot price is tough to beat.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I think the Thermastars are one of the worst windows on the market and will be a window homeowners will be replacing again down the line.

50% of my business this year has been replacing cheaply made vinyl windows that are between 2-10 years old. Most we are taking out are the original new construction windows to the house, but many are also cheaply made windows that we talk about here every day.

If you are going to replace your windows folks, buy a decent product that will last a few generations and stop being so cheap. Decent windows aren't that much more.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree but it appears that he does not want to be talked out of them. I guess it will be the next homeowners problems.

BTW...didn't you know they were rated a CR best buy.... :lol:

daveyd

#11 Post by daveyd »

Windows on Washington wrote:I agree but it appears that he does not want to be talked out of them. I guess it will be the next homeowners problems.

Well, that is sort of what i am getting out of this...if I replace them with the Thermastars now and move within 5 yrs, I guess it would be the next owners issue.

Also, Consumer Reports rated them at the bottom of their reviews in a recent mag. They actually rated Lowes Reliabuilt at the top. Are the Reliabuilts a much better solution that the Thermastars?

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

You have already replaced some of the windows with the Thermastars and probably don't want to go back and rip those out to match the new windows you install...correct?

Window4U is correct in stating that they are basically bottom of the barrel but if they are installed correctly and you luck out and don't have anything break, they should last around the 7-10 year mark. They won't perform like other windows but they will look okay and serve your purposes. I think you are going to drive yourself crazy if you overthink this. Just my 2 cents.

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

daveyd wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:I agree but it appears that he does not want to be talked out of them. I guess it will be the next homeowners problems.

Well, that is sort of what i am getting out of this...if I replace them with the Thermastars now and move within 5 yrs, I guess it would be the next owners issue.

Also, Consumer Reports rated them at the bottom of their reviews in a recent mag. They actually rated Lowes Reliabuilt at the top. Are the Reliabuilts a much better solution that the Thermastars?
Through out the CR book will you!

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

Fair enough. Just remember you said this when you get to the new house in 5 years and find out the previous owner had the same attitude about a roof or siding job.

JBank

Re: Are the Pella ThermaStar vinyl replacement windows THAT bad?

#15 Post by JBank »

I live in Eastern Pennsylvania where we get a good variety of inclement weather including cold & snow. I just replaced all 12 of the sliders in my 70's ranch home with Pella Thermastars right before our first big snowstorm of the year. I did it through Lowe's as they beat all other quotes by at least 10%. The windows I had previously were aluminum framed, and required a full tear out of the old frames. Two of the old ones were installed in brick on the front of the house, so they were cemented in. Also four basement windows were replaced which were cemented in. Considering that, Lowes installed price was at least half the price of quotes I received for installation of "no name" vinyl windows from replacement window contractors which advertise in the local area. The glass in the old windows was so bad that one could barely see through some of them. I replaced them with the eglass, argon version of Thermastars, which qualify for the tax credit. So far so good. I read a lot of bad reviews prior to doing it, so was a little concerned. However I have had pretty good experience with customer service at the local Lowes so I concluded that they would stand behind them if any problems surfaced. I've noticed a huge difference in the heat efficiency throughout the house as well as noise reduction. I don't know how a vinyl window could be any better. They open and close properly, and are airtight. Being sliders they do have weep holes, so it seems that there is a small amount of airflow through those holes; I could caulk the weep holes from the outside if I wanted since they don't get wet due to overhangs on the house. I don't see a big problem with the weep holes. The old sliders had them too and I never had a problem caused by the weep holes. Any air flow through them is negligible. I am really happy with these windows. They look great when they are finished off properly and they make a huge difference in my house with eliminating drafts, etc. The only recommendation I have is to get them installed by someone with experience doing Pella windows. If you buy them yourself and install you may have issues if they are not put in just right, which I assume would make it difficult to get help from the retailer or the manufacturer.