Vinyl Kraft Windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Weaves

Vinyl Kraft Windows

#1 Post by Weaves »

Hi, I just had 14 Vinyl Kraft Windows installed -- casement type, double pane -- replacing 36-yr old wood casement windows. I live in Ohio and was glad to purchase windows made in Ohio. Each of the seven openings has one static or picture window with narrower ventilation window on the side (cranks open/closed), so each opening technically has two windows. The windows seem to be of good quality and look good EXCEPT for the black rubber weather-stripping that is visible as you look at the windows from the outside; the rubber weather-stripping shows only on the ventilation window; it is not tucked behind the casement/frame when the window is closed. I ordered the windows thinking I would have all white window frames -- the frame is white, but the weather-stripping is black. It just looks strange and off-balance to have the static/picture window framed all in white and the smaller ventilation window with a black outline (exposed black weather-stripping). The wood casement windows I had replaced did not have this exposed weather-stripping; what it did have was tucked in when the window closed - functional and aesthetically pleasing. I understand the purpose, but I feel this is an aesthetics design flaw of the new windows. Other than this, so far, I like the new windows.
Last edited by Weaves on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Kraft Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most vinyl windows will have some weatherstripping at the interface point but it tends to be white or gray on the white frames.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

What you are referring to sounds like a visible glazing durometer. There are quite a few window manufacturers that utilize an external black durometer for very specific reasoning. Sunrise Windows happens to be one of them and I have to explain this all of the time as it demos badly in the house when under a microscope once in a blue moon.

These glazing durometers can be internal to the sash or glazing beads, or external. External is most common. White is the most common and demos well, however after a few years of exposure they're usually a mess. The general purpose of the glazing durometer is to keep water run off down the vertical surface of the glass from penetration of the sash from the IG unit. They seem to be made from a softer silicone based material which is most likely easily sustainable to discoloration and the formation of all kinds of weird stains, including mold spores from what I've seen in the field.

Making them this "unsightly" black is the crafty way to hide all of these undesirable exposure systems. You can't tell what's going on with the black durometers. Very cleaver. I've looked out of my Soft-Lite premium white glazing durometers and if the window isn't washed all of the time they become very nasty looking. They're not all that hard to clean but from my experience only about .001% of homeowners every really clean the exterior of the windows at a "full detail" museum quality job.

To bump up and have a happy medium, some engineers like the folks over at OKNA and BF Rich utilize a dark gray durometer which is genius. It doesn't jump out as ugly, but it's there in a very sleek and subtle way doing it's job keeping the bad exposure effects hidden real good while all the while complimenting the appearance of the window.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good catch Mike.

Didn't think of that. I would be willing to bet that is what he is seeing.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Of course it could be just black "blade" weatherstripping around the sashes which would make sense of a triple why they don't see it in the center? Just checked out an OKNA gallery of mine from last year.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

DM is correct. Here in Houston it will become green with mildew very quickly which is much more visible on white or gray, so black is preferred.

Weaves

#7 Post by Weaves »

Thanks for your input. I understood the function, which in northeast Ohio (lake effect) is a must, I just was surprised that the black material was "external" rather than "internal". Guess it was my fault for not micro-checking the product before ordering. The display at the sellers/installers establishment did not have the black material and the reference I checked (actually went to his house) had white frame and rubber material so it didn't jump out at me like mine now does. I was never offered an alternate color such as white or grey before or at time of order... Oh well, it's done now and like I said, I do like the windows. I hope these last as long as the original windows did - I won't have to worry about replacing them if they do, as I won't be around :)