Windows - Southeastern MA

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
nesandbar

Windows - Southeastern MA

#1 Post by nesandbar »

I have a quote for 19 63" x 34" DH Okna 800 DX series w/ SDL grids (2over2) for $10,442.50. Seems like Pella, Anderson and especially Harvey are most popular down here. No one has even heard of Okna down here. I had to go quite a ways away to find a dealer. I did get a quote for Sunrise Solace (Owens Corning) for $19,000+ which is way out of my budget.

3 questions:
1. Is that a decent quote for the Oknas?
2. The installer said the 800 has 2 foam strips that seal the sides while he will use foam on the top and bottom. He didn't have an 800 to show me, but I did look at the 500 which has 1 foam strip on each side. Is that correct in reference to the 800?
3. My house was built in the late 1800 and although old doesn't have any historical significance. But...I want windows that will look good as well as being more functional than the existing ones.

This board has been absolutely invaluable in researching options.
Thank you!

Delaware Mike

Re: Windows - Southeastern MA

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

That is a very inexpensive installed per window price for the 800, especially with SDL option. A house of that age typically presents issues such as dealing with lead paint, harder to cap exterior window casings and larger sill nosing, weight cavity pockets with no insulation, and probably several other things that I'm forgetting.

The biggest thing between the 500 and 800 for me is the metal lift handles on the 800, bottom sash seal, and sash reinforcement. The foam that is applied to the exterior of the frame is a very minor detail. Most of us installers will remove that stuff as we prefer injection foam to the gaps. If exterior or interior stops are left in place we may just remove one coarse of the foam which allows the remaining coarse to act sort as a backer that will keep the foam from going places we don't want it. If your OKNA installer doesn't like to remove it he most likely measures his window super tight and doesn't deal with headaches of fighting the reducer nozzle tips like I do which have to be cleaned right away with acetone or lacquer thinner.

nesandbar

#3 Post by nesandbar »

Thanks Mike,

Interesting that you mentioned him measuring tight because I was discussing other windows (like Harvey) and he said one of the reasons he uses Okna is that he can measure tight. I believe he said an 1/8" rather than a Harvey which he would do at 1/4".
We did talk about lead paint (he is certified) and other issues associated with an old house/old windows.
I only have 2 windows w/rope/pulley. All others are closed up and definitely not insulated. I saw a youtube video of an installer drilling several holes in the jambs and spraying foam with a small tip into the cavity starting from the bottom and moving up. Without doing the install from the outside and removing trim I don't see any other way to insulate that area. Worth it or not? Thoughts?

Thanks Again!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Take those you tube video's with a grain of salt. Most of those guys are not true window installers. Drilling holes in the jamb and filling it with foam would be very time comsuming and extremely expensive, not to mention all the extra foam the contractor would have to buy which would be passed on to you of course. Its just unrealistic .
Most guys insulate the weight pockets with fiberglass which is totally acceptable and effective.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Insulating the pockets with spray foam is very time consuming. I've done it in the past. The pockets eat a ton of foam if you're working with cans and not a real set up like a professional insulator would have. If it's just a couple of windows no big deal I guess regarding the cost and time. More than a few and it might be more a job for an insulator if someone isn't going to use glass or blow something in through the top of the cavity pockets.

One of the problems with massive amounts of the foam window and door pros use is that it's not designed for that and one would be inclined to use more of the big gap formulas which can take a while to cure and keep expanding. They will expand so much that the foam will come back through the bore holes and actually bow a vinyl window too tight as to hour glass it and cause it not to work. Don't ask me how I know that but I've been there and it's not pretty. I would want a professional set up for doing this beyond a let's say two windows.

nesandbar

#6 Post by nesandbar »

That makes sense Mike. Thx