Newbie...need advice on windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
lklein1976

Newbie...need advice on windows

#1 Post by lklein1976 »

Hello all. I have a 20 year old builder grade home with terrible builder grade windows. They are terribly drafty and we want to replace some. Unfortunately, the whole house is not in the budget at the moment. I have some window installers coming out (2 so far, 2 or 3 more coming), all with good reviews from Angie's list, etc. The first quoted Alside Sheffield windows, the second Kensington 300 windows. Both claimed they were great, etc. as expected. I see quite a few terrible reviews on here. The question would be, what ARE some good middle of the road vinyl replacement window brands. We have a mixture of slider, double hung and a patio door. I am not sure what the installers who are coming out use. I have a budget of about $4k-$5k and would like to at least get my daughter's room (two windows) and some of the family room (two windows, patio door) done. I want to get a decent product but also get a decent price as it is my hope to be able to do the entire house in the next few years. Thank you.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Newbie...need advice on windows

#2 Post by masterext »

Alside Sheffield is not highly regarded. Brands are kind of regional, depending on what state you are located in.

lklein1976

#3 Post by lklein1976 »

I am located in the Chicago suburbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Windowrican

#4 Post by Windowrican »

That kensignton would be the better choice.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Call Strong Window, you should speak to Dave.
Okna vinyl window and Patio door, 500DX or 800DX.

theWindowNerd.

jaece312

#6 Post by jaece312 »

lklein1976 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:10 pm Hello all. I have a 20 year old builder grade home with terrible builder grade windows. They are terribly drafty and we want to replace some. Unfortunately, the whole house is not in the budget at the moment. I have some window installers coming out (2 so far, 2 or 3 more coming), all with good reviews from Angie's list, etc. The first quoted Alside Sheffield windows, the second Kensington 300 windows. Both claimed they were great, etc. as expected. I see quite a few terrible reviews on here. The question would be, what ARE some good middle of the road vinyl replacement window brands. We have a mixture of slider, double hung and a patio door. I am not sure what the installers who are coming out use. I have a budget of about $4k-$5k and would like to at least get my daughter's room (two windows) and some of the family room (two windows, patio door) done. I want to get a decent product but also get a decent price as it is my hope to be able to do the entire house in the next few years. Thank you.
Alside Sheffield is not highly regarded. Brands are kind of regional, depending on what state you are located in.