VPI vinyl retrofits, quality?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
mackisus

VPI vinyl retrofits, quality?

#1 Post by mackisus »

Hi, live in Billings, MT, get some extreme temps on both ends, wind blows a lot. Window guy came out gave me a bid to do 11 windows with VIP (our of Spokane) not sure which style exactly. Am getting more bids, I like the concept of vinyl because of no maintenance, but they say it shrinks over time making caulking an issue. But, as always it seems, you go on the review sites and most are negative. These have a lifetime warranty with a transferable clause for the next owner. A good selling point since we may move within ten years. Has anyone had experience with these vinyl windows...GOOD or bad? By comparison I plugged in Anderson and Pella and even got bad reviews on those...guess maybe grouches do more reviews, ha. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: VPI vinyl retrofits, quality?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have no experience with that window and I would suggest for a more proper vetting of it that you look/inquire about the U-Factor, Air Infiltration, Design Pressure, and SHGC.

As far as vinyl shrinking over time...that is incorrect. Vinyl does expand and contract with temperature as most window materials do. A well engineer vinyl window is at least as good (most times vastly better) than a wood, fiberglass, metal, or other composite window.

mackisus

#3 Post by mackisus »

Thanks so much! I may have gotten the info about vinyl shrinkage off of an old blog..or just bad info altogether. I will research the specs like you suggested. I can live without the "wood" look but don't want the drafts coming in!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The drafts around the operable sections of the window are a function of what we refer to as air infiltration.

With regard to that performance metric, you will find that vinyl has most of the top performing units on the market in air infiltration.

mackisus

#5 Post by mackisus »

Hi, this is me again, I was asking about VPI. Now I am looking at the Mezzo line by Alside. The same installer also sells and installs these. He claims they are of the same quality and will not install anything else (without a good reason), says he is familiar with the (retrofit) install and likes to keep it simple, without tearing siding and matching it. But I have been looking around on the blogs and see your face on some of them, you must know a a lot about these things! The Mezzo line seems to have a new product and the guy claims they were the first to lower the u-factor trying to compete with the big boys. Your opinion on these? I understand replacing windows is not rocket science, but we are replacing Anderson casement that are 26 years old and my opinion of them is not the greatest....
Tried to upload the window sticker but here are the specs: u-factor 0.27, solar heat gain coefficient 0.30, visible transmittance 0.55, air leakage <_.3. This is based on model 3002, a slider. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are taking out casements (guessing they are twin casements) to put in sliders?