New Windows Central Michigan

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Shepherd

New Windows Central Michigan

#1 Post by Shepherd »

Hello All, I have been lurking and reading for a bit on these forums as I am approaching a window / siding project for my home. I see a definite trend toward favoring Soft-Lite Elements, Okna 600/800 series, and a couple others from a lot of posters here. The little wrinkle that I have in my job is that my existing sheathing of the house is a kind of softer, dark brown, fiberboard that was apparently popular in the 70's. It doesn't seem to hold anchors very well, and therefore, I want to pursue all new sheathing for the home. This will open us up to address any insulation needs, and I believe, to use new construction type windows in lieu of replacement type. Does this fact change / alter some of your recommendations at all, or would they still hold true? Also, does anyone have any specific dealer / installer recommendations in the Central Michigan area? Thanks in advance, I appreciate any information / opinions that you would have.

Windows on Washington

Re: New Windows Central Michigan

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

All of the windows in your list are adaptable to be new construction applications.

Shepherd

#3 Post by Shepherd »

Thanks for the reply WOW. Good to know. I guess the biggest thing in my mind is the fact that since I am dealing with all the new sheathing, it seems like it makes it more sensible to try and keep the siding and windows with the same contractor if possible. I say this because they will no doubt do sections of the house, installing the windows as they are ready for a given opening, with the siding going up right afterwards. Splitting the job would seem to be a bit of a pain trying to coordinate the two contractors so closely. I may be over thinking this, but it might make it harder to opt for a certain window brand when the guy I feel better about doing the overall job doesn't carry that brand. For example, if I wanted to hire the Soft-Lite window guy, who doesn't happen to do siding at all.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I don't care for Homasote sheathing which is what you currently have. I have it too on my house. If there is nothing really wrong with it we just typically will go over with foam board and taped seams (foil faced poly iso) or hand nail modern WRB as one can't staple to that stuff. I'm guessing you want a siding style that needs wood sheathing such as shakes or vertical that doesn't work on 16" center stud nailing?

New construction flanged windows marry nicely with factory jamb extensions but you have to have the wall thickness dialed in 100% correct to make them work for the trim guys. I definitely think you're on the right track with finding one outfit that will do the windows and siding at the same time. Hopefully, they will be well versed in best flashing practices with quality tapes and pan membranes plus experience with low-expansion foam.

Shepherd

#5 Post by Shepherd »

Hello Mike, yes, my wife is interested in a combination of vertical "board & batten" & shake style siding. We'll see. In any event, I just can't seem to get comfortable with making the investment in all new siding and windows without putting the new sheathing in place. It will just bother me all the time if I don't address it. I have found (3) different companies and have requested appointments with each that do roofing, siding and windows. One of them shows the Sunrise line on their website, one seems to carry Soft-lite (doesn't call it out by name, but based on specific terminology, I can see that they are using copy text from the Imperial Elite line), and another that shows Simonton & Windsor. I know that those last two are not as well rated / received on this forum, so will take that into consideration within the context of the larger job. It is a case of measuring the company who will do the job as well as the specific product in my mind. Especially since I am coming from 50 year old windows to begin with.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Just so you know Sunrise is like 24 or more weeks out on manufacturing windows right now. If you can't find an OKNA dealer in your area there are other brands that will service you well in a flanged new construction. ProVia Endure and Aspect, top of the line Seaway, Kessington, Vytex, HomeGuard, and maybe even a Simonton 9800. I have big eves on my house with older aluminum siding. When I change out my siding next year I'll leave the Homasote on and like I send just run the poly iso on top of it which with custom jamb extensions will make even deeper window pockets for blinds as I'll do the windows at the same time. I'm doing shakes on the back so I'll just veneer 1/2" plywood over the Homasote. OSB and Plywood is crazy expensive right now too and I don't think it performs any better from a thermal aspect?

Shepherd

#7 Post by Shepherd »

Thanks for the heads up on Sunrise. Not surprised, supply chains across the product spectrum are challenged right now. Also, thanks for the other window brands to consider for new construction / flanged type. Although I respect the opinions of this board, a new person could easily get the impression that Sunrise, Soft-lite and Okna are the only decent makers of windows out there.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

You can probably throw Polaris into that bucket of good windows as well. There are a small handful that you read about the most and are generally favored, but there are other decent windows out there. Oftentimes its simply a matter of why recommend a B grade window when an A grade window is frequently in the same price range... Just my thought on that anyway.... Either way, as WoW stated, they are all suitable for either installation method.

Regarding the other items:

- +1 to the thought of one contractor doing both the windows and siding, especially with full tearouts. Consolidating responsibility and mitigating the opportunity for finger pointing later on generally pays dividends.

- As far as that fiberboard sheathing, as Mike was alluding to, unless its in poor condition there aren't many other reasons to remove it. It is not used in areas of the home that need structural support for wind load etc (if you have gable ends for instance they may be osb or plywood already), and while you are correct that it "doesn't hold anchors well", it's not intended to. Windows, siding, etc should all be secured into studs where the fasteners go through that material and into the framing. That doesn't change regardless of the sheathing, whether its osb, fiberboard, or rigid foam.

Shepherd

#9 Post by Shepherd »

Thanks for the thoughtful reply HomeSealed, I appreciate your time and knowledge. And I also appreciate what you are saying in regards to the fiberboard situation. It makes sense for sure. The only thing is, I am not confident at all in the insulation situation in my walls. I am thinking that by taking the old sheathing off, we can not only put up something better, but we can actually put new insulation in all the exterior walls between the studs. The reason I say this is because a number of years ago, I replaced some of the old T-111 siding on one end of the house (second story over the garage) due to it coming away (that is when we discovered the fiberboard), and there was only some minor insulation that had settled down low in the wall. I have to assume this will be everywhere like that.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Gaining access to the wall cavity to get the insulation right was the missing piece of the puzzle. I'm aboard with you.

Shepherd

#11 Post by Shepherd »

Well, I called the Okna customer service line, and I was told they have no authorized dealers in the entire State of Michigan. Shame. Guess I'll check with Polaris.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

The insulation aspect does make more sense... In most cases dense packing the wall cavities with cellulose (requires minimal siding removal and no sheathing removal) delivers a better(more efficient) finished product with less work, but with all of your siding off it makes the plan that you are proposing more compelling.
Personally, I'd probably leave the fiberboard, dense pack the cavities, and add 1/2" XPS board over the exterior (over the fiberboard), but again, what you are proposing isn't a terrible route to go either.

Shepherd

#13 Post by Shepherd »

So, what does anyone have to say about the Windsor Next Dimension Classic series vinyl window? They look pretty nice to me from what I can see, and I have a local company that carries them. Does anyone have any experience with these windows. I am going to get a quote on the Windsor Pinnacle (wood / aluminum cladded product) as well, but am leaning more toward a vinyl window in my mind. Thanks!

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Windsor is one of the most common windows that we are pulling out for replacement, they have been for some time. I don't have a particularly high opinion of anything that they offer, nor are they held in high regard by most window pros.

There is something to be said for a product that is respected and used primarily in the replacement/remodeling sector vs one that is used mostly in new construction like Windsor. In the former, homeowners are looking to fix the issues that they have with their current windows and are laser focused on that product and its features, where in the latter the windows are one small, not-so-glamorous piece of a new home and most folks assume that any new window must be pretty good.

Shepherd

#15 Post by Shepherd »

Thanks for the reply HomeSealed. I am wondering if you could elaborate on what the issues are with the Windsor windows you are replacing? Is there a consistency to a particular issue? Are the windows failing in a particular manner regularly? I ask this in good faith, not as though I'm questioning your opinion at all. Just trying to learn as best I can. In my situation, needing the siding and sheathing work along with the window themselves, I am finding challenges in getting a good combination of everything I need while also trying to stick with the Sunrise, Soft-lite, Okna, etc. that seem to get the most positive reviews. In short, I am finding some conflict matching my needs with that of the various distribution networks for the window companies. I'm trying to find the right fit, and willing to take the time to do so. Thanks again!