Window replacement help (Pittsburgh, PA)

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
sealthecold

Window replacement help (Pittsburgh, PA)

#1 Post by sealthecold »

Hello,
This forum has been very helpful for my research. Thank you! I am looking to replace 17 double hung windows in a 1965 house that came with old wood, single pane windows. From the forum I learned that Okna, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and Polaris get the most nods.
At this stage, I've received the following quotes. I noticed the recent prices are understandably higher than the pre-pandemic era.

All prices include installation

(1) Renewal by Andersen: 33k
(2) Pella 250 series: 19k
(3) Pella Lifestyle series: 28.5k
(4) Polaris Thermaweld: 16.5k
(5) Polaris Ultraweld: 18.5k
(6) Vytex Potomac HP: 16.5k

Okna and Sunrise have pretty much been unresponsive. I am waiting for a quote on Soft-Lite.
I would like your advise on these choices. Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Window replacement help (Pittsburgh, PA)

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

#5 or #6...depending on the installer and how you liked them.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. My primary experience of the better choices that you have (4,5,6) is with the the Ultraweld, however the performance and feedback that I've heard for the redesigned Thermalweld as well as Potomac seem to be positive.

Re: Softlite and Okna being unresponsive, were you contacting the manufacturers directly, or local dealers? The latter is definitely the way to go, and I'd be surprised if you don't have more than one dealer of each that serves your area.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pella Lifestyles is a clad wood unit, not vinyl or composite like the rest.

In the vinyl that you have looked at I would pick the Potomac. Now you need to find an excellent installer.

theWindowNerd.com

sealthecold

#5 Post by sealthecold »

Thank you, Windows on Washington, HomeSealed, and TheWindowNerd. Your responses are very helpful!

Regarding the local dealers for Sunrise, Okna, and Soft-Lite, I tried to get a list. I contacted the manufacturers to find out their dealers in the Pittsburgh area. Their websites just ask me to fill out a form and do not list the dealers in the area. I am not sure why they want to do it this way. It is so difficult for an average consumer like me :-(

I am leaning towards the Ultraweld. Apart from the window's quality, this dealer/installer has been the most responsive, and seems to be more easy to work with.

I have a follow-up quote on the Polaris Ultraweld for 15k with installation (17 windows, double pane, foam filled frame). In your experience, do you think this a reasonable price for 2021? The range in my quotes I have received for this window are from 15k-19k.

Could you please shed light on the "Innergy" concept I see in the Polaris brochure. The brochure states this:
"Innergy is the innovative, energy-efficient alternative to aluminum. Rigid Thermal Reinforcements are advanced fiberglass reinforced resin inserts, designed to slide easily into window frame chambers for greater support and insulation."

Is this feature an important consideration for achieving the advertised thermal performance numbers on the Ultraweld windows?
My quote did not include this feature.

I appreciate your help and the service you do to this community.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

- The pricing sounds pretty good. Definitely not high these days.

- The dealer referral procedure from manufacturers isn't always ideal. Have you tried to simply google : XYZ windows in Pittsburgh? Typically that will return the companies that carry the product that you are looking for, although be sure to check their websites for that detail. Other companies try to advertise "competitive keywords" as well.

- The Innergy reinforcement is a nice feature. It doesn't add anything thermally, but it strengthens the meeting rail (where the two sash panels meet) of the window which is the area most prone to bowing and air leakage. Check the DP rating with and without that option to see how much difference that makes, I forget.