Proper measuring before purchasing replacement window.

For those self-installers
PARebel

Proper measuring before purchasing replacement window.

#1 Post by PARebel »

I'd like to replace 55 year old wooden windows with new vinyl replacement windows.

My question concerns measuring properly before selecting the correct replacement window size. I have measured the jamb in (3) locations...top, middle, and bottom. Each of these measurements are 28 5/8". I've also measured from the header to the front of the stool in (3) locations...left, center, and right. The smallest of these measurements is 53 13/16".

Now, I realize that the replacement window rests against the rear stops & it's here that I'd have a concern. After measuring the distance between the rear stops ( 27 3/4" )...I am wondering if the replacement vinyl window will sit properly against the rear stops. The new vinyl replacement window actual height & actual width measurements are 53 3/4" X 27 3/4"...with rough opening measurements being 28" X 54".

Will this window fit, or will the rear stops need to be replaced. Oh, I also measured the width of the rear stops...one measures 5/8" & the other 7/16".

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Proper measuring before purchasing replacement window.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

By rear...do you mean exterior stops?

27.75" by 53.50" is a pretty standard make size to replace a 28" by 54" window.

Are you capping the exterior or just pulling the interior stops and dropping it in flush against the exterior stop?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Not sure if you are referring to interior or exterior stops when you say "rear". The height should be okay (although tighter than I would like). On width, it will be a matter of whether the interior stops provide sufficient coverage for the edge of the window. Based on your measurements, it probably won't, especially if the window has an accessory groove. It is possible that the gap will be small enough to caulk, if not, you will have to explore other options: vinyl frame expander, wider stops, stacking stops, etc.

PARebel

#4 Post by PARebel »

Yes, I am referring to the stops that the replacement window sits against. I'd be removing the stops that hold in the front sash, then the parting bead that holds in the rear sash, and finally exposing the stops that the replacement window rests upon.

Do I assume correctly that because the window is 27 3/4 inches wide and the distance between the stops is 27 3/4"...that wider stops would have to be installed?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

PARebel wrote:Yes, I am referring to the stops that the replacement window sits against. I'd be removing the stops that hold in the front sash, then the parting bead that holds in the rear sash, and finally exposing the stops that the replacement window rests upon.

Do I assume correctly that because the window is 27 3/4 inches wide and the distance between the stops is 27 3/4"...that wider stops would have to be installed?

Thanks
All are different.

Usually, in the case of a 27.75" replacement window, the net area behind the stops will be 28" and allow for shimming and spray foam.

PARebel

#6 Post by PARebel »

Yes, I was referencing the exterior stops which the distance between them are 27 3/4"...I am measuring the shortest distance between the exterior stops.

I was concerned that a 27 3/4" wide replacement window would not rest against the exterior stops due to the fact that both measurements ( replacement window and exterior stops ) are equal.

Correct...I was looking to just drop a in a replacement window within the existing framework.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are supposed to measure to the wood buck (i.e. where the stop meets the old window frame) and deduct from that number.

If you measure the interior stop, measure to where the stop meets the casing or jamb and cut back from that measurement.