Exterior detail trim

For those self-installers
fortension

Exterior detail trim

#1 Post by fortension »

I've got a 1920's house with original double-hung windows. I've rehabbed the downstairs (stained wood) windows at now I'm looking at the upstairs painted windows. They're in rougher shape so I'm considering replacing rather than continuing the rehab.

All the windows have storms and the exterior trim has aluminum wrap. If I replace the windows and take the old storms off, that leaves the wood blind stops exposed and about 1" of sill exposed with a great way for water to get under the wrap. I wouldn't trust that much caulking.

I've got some ideas, but I'm wondering what the best practice is in this situation? I'm trying to avoid rewrapping all the windows. I may do the window replacement myself or use this as a probing question when interviewing installers.

Delaware Mike

Re: Exterior detail trim

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Best practice is to re-wrap the woodwork. Once could possibly just wrap the stops, but now you will have an additional caulk line to get dirty plus the metal will look different and much newer. I would not be a fan of that.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. You could probably scab something together, but the right way to do this is to re-wrap. That aluminum will likely get mucked up in the process anyway when you remove the storms.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any pictures? If you are bending some coil as a general rule, best bet it to make it as seamless as possible. Multiple joints and stitched together with caulking rarely make for great finished look.

fortension

#5 Post by fortension »

Sorry about the delay - I must have gotten a cached copy for a while (without any responses)

I've removed 6 storm windows without damaging the coil trim significantly - just a ding here or there. I then added a 1/2" pvc buildout on the exterior of the stop and the old coil is tucked inside of that. Then I installed a modern storm over that. It looks better since the old messy caulk joint between the coil and storm is hidden. I was thinking something like, wrapping the stop in a "L" PVC. I wouldn't try adding any coil stock over it.

I agree the best practice would be to do a rewrap, but it's in good shape right now. I'm not a fan of coil cap, and would rather save the money for all new trim in the future.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the update. Post up some pictures if you have a chance.