Historic Districts and Vinyl Windows

A place to talk about the Window Industry
Kingmarket

Historic Districts and Vinyl Windows

#1 Post by Kingmarket »

Are there any Historic Districts that allow vinyl windows? Our local Historic District says there are none.

Skydawggy

Re: Historic Districts and Vinyl Windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I've never found a hysterical district that allows vinyl windows. When we get a call from certain areas that we know are hysterical, we simply tell the customer there isn't anything we can do for them and they need to contact the hysterical district office and get a list of contractors who are approved. Some of the areas around here will not even allow aluminum or vinyl storm windows.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Someday in about a hundred years vinyl windows will be the correct "historical" windows.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

MQ produces top notch vinyl products for historical applications in Canada. Remember China banned wood windows in most applications and I think some of there historical sites are at least 10-20 years older than ours. Solaris, also in Canada and when you go to europe then yes. The groups here have there head up there :arrow: but in a way I can understand as some folks would slap in an Als_de.

JMO

http://www.mq.ca/
just for fun...
http://www.bieberusa.com/italian_window ... DQodPB9Byg

:mrgreen:

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

The city of Wilmington doesn't even allow aluminum/PVC capping of exterior window casings in their historic neighborhoods.

Integra

#6 Post by Integra »

In some ways, I can appreciate their reasons for not allowing vinyl, but when you see some of the POS wood windows they end up installing instead, it really makes me shake my head. There's a pretty cool company in PA named Trimline who makes a really sweet custom wood window with a 3 1/4" jamb. That's my first choice for historical jobs.