What forum am I in?!?!? Just kidding...

If you are new to this type of board please try out some of your test posts & replies here!
SteelSlicer

What forum am I in?!?!? Just kidding...

#1 Post by SteelSlicer »

We're getting ready to have windows and doors replaced, new roof, new a/c-furnace, and a new lawn. I have been doing so much research, jumping from forums like this, Consumer Reports, Angie's List, that I forget where I am sometimes! Yeah, yeah, I know, nothing to do with the internet :D But I'm glad I found this site, I've already gotten some good info just browsing the posts.

Windows on Washington

Re: What forum am I in?!?!? Just kidding...

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the basis behind the furnace replacement? The only thing missing from that list is some insulation and weatherization work.

Sounds like a nice set of projects for a contractor. Make sure you get the best of each and don't settle on whatever products he has in his catalog if they are the best of the best.

Good luck.

SteelSlicer

#3 Post by SteelSlicer »

We bought the house 2 years ago, built in 1991. Heat-a/c is original, had a spring tune-up done and the tech said coils were corroded, detected freon leaks, and the compressor is weak. It makes sense, the a/c runs constantly as soon as the temp gets to 80+, but it can't cool the house below 74. Since we're getting the a/c replaced and the furnace is part of the unit, we're doing a full replace. Basically, we're getting the house ready to retire in.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

SteelSlicer wrote:We bought the house 2 years ago, built in 1991. Heat-a/c is original, had a spring tune-up done and the tech said coils were corroded, detected freon leaks, and the compressor is weak. It makes sense, the a/c runs constantly as soon as the temp gets to 80+, but it can't cool the house below 74. Since we're getting the a/c replaced and the furnace is part of the unit, we're doing a full replace. Basically, we're getting the house ready to retire in.
They do have a serviceable life and it sounds as if you are at the end of it.

What type of system are you putting in its place? Have you considered GeoThermal? The application value of that depends on thermal conductivity of the soil and ground temperatures.

The overall price of a GeoThermal system will far exceed the cost of a high efficiency AC and Furnace, however, you will get a tax credit and it will be paying the added investment back immediately.