Newbie needing advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dwknjh6

Newbie needing advice

#1 Post by dwknjh6 »

So I decided to buy a forclosed house that needs some work. Windows being one of them. So I go to Lowes and get some estimates on Reliabuilt and Pella Thermastars. 14 windows(11, with 3 being doubles), double hung, Low E with Argon, with grids. $2500 for the Reliabuilt, $2900 for the Pella's.

Next I go to a local building supply who carries Anderson new construction(no replacement windows) and a local Kentucky company called Rogers Windows. About $2500 for the Roger's and the salesman swears by them(it's what's in his house).

So I try another local supplier who deals in Silverlines. 8500's were $2598. And these are all the brands that I have locally available.

So I then decide to get online and do a little research and find out that pretty much all these windows are crap(can't find much out about the Rogers, any inpput on these??). Now I am on a very strict budget as I have so much work to do this house and only so much cash. Any opinions on what to do? Are they any other windows maybe in the 3 to 4 thousand range that would be a lot better?? Or am I still stuck buying crap at that dollar range??

Oh, there is a Window World franchise a few towns away that does a little work locally, if they do good install work I might try and look at them. What about their Windows? Any better or same crap?? If I travel a little I've got access to Anderson Replacements, Marvin, MW Windows and doors, MI Windows, United Windows, and Jeld-Wen. Is there any of these manufacturers that have a better window and fit my budget? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any and all help.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

dwknjh6,
Your sitting in the same boat as many consumers out there today. To answer your question without re-inventing the wheel, it's all about the installation! There are a lot of windows to choose from out there that all state they're the best. Some of them are much better than the others when it comes to over all performance and construction. The bottom line is no matter how much money you spend on your windows, if they're not installed properly, they're junk. Look for Simonton in your area or go for the Marvin product. I'd recommend you do a little research on Window World before dealing with them. Good Luck!!!

dwknjh6

I guess I should have mentioned...

#3 Post by dwknjh6 »

that I'll be installing them myself. The existing window frames are in pretty good shape, there is ust a lot of broke glass, thus needing to be replaced.

The Silverline dealer is the only one(other than Lowes and they are way overpriced on installation and it's not a very good quality install), that I might have install. I trust the guys but I do need to see a few more jobs that they've installed.

gardenpartyfish

Re: Newbie needing advice

#4 Post by gardenpartyfish »

dwknjh6 wrote:So I decided to buy a forclosed house that needs some work. Windows being one of them. So I go to Lowes and get some estimates on Reliabuilt and Pella Thermastars. 14 windows(11, with 3 being doubles), double hung, Low E with Argon, with grids. $2500 for the Reliabuilt, $2900 for the Pella's.

Next I go to a local building supply who carries Anderson new construction(no replacement windows) and a local Kentucky company called Rogers Windows. About $2500 for the Roger's and the salesman swears by them(it's what's in his house).

So I try another local supplier who deals in Silverlines. 8500's were $2598. And these are all the brands that I have locally available.

So I then decide to get online and do a little research and find out that pretty much all these windows are crap(can't find much out about the Rogers, any inpput on these??). Now I am on a very strict budget as I have so much work to do this house and only so much cash. Any opinions on what to do? Are they any other windows maybe in the 3 to 4 thousand range that would be a lot better?? Or am I still stuck buying crap at that dollar range??

Oh, there is a Window World franchise a few towns away that does a little work locally, if they do good install work I might try and look at them. What about their Windows? Any better or same crap?? If I travel a little I've got access to Anderson Replacements, Marvin, MW Windows and doors, MI Windows, United Windows, and Jeld-Wen. Is there any of these manufacturers that have a better window and fit my budget? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any and all help.

Lowe's Pella are crap. Silverlines 9500 are ok IF the install is super. Check Simonton 5500 series. A bit more for the 5500's but these will easily outlast and outperform all those garage-type windows.

dwknjh6

More qoutes

#5 Post by dwknjh6 »

Ok, I expanded my search a little(distance wise) and got a few more qoutes. These are for just windows, no installation. Thermaweld's by Polaris for $2921.47. Another qoute from 84 Lumber for Jeld-Wen white vinyles, have no idea what series of windows(yeah I know, good qoute huh?) for $2686.74. Simonton Prisim Bronze for $2860.63.

I'm guessing the Simonton's are the best? What about the the Polaris windows?? The salesman spoke very highly of them and they sell some other more expensive windows. Any help in this decision would be greatly appreciated.

dwknjh6

Another one

#6 Post by dwknjh6 »

Just got another qoute on Polaris Valu-smarts at $2314.32. Also I'm expecting a qoute on Simonton's Reflections 5050. Am I making to much of this or is there a big difference in any of these windows.

So far I think i'm leaning towards either the Simonton Prism bronze, or maybe one of the Polaris windows. I'd like to find out a little more about the Jeld-Wen. I"m assuming it's the builders vinyl series, but thats just a guess.

When or if I get the qoute on the Reflections 5050 I'll post. Anybody have any input as to what the best deal is so far?? Thanks again.

gardenpartyfish

Re: Another one

#7 Post by gardenpartyfish »

dwknjh6 wrote:Just got another qoute on Polaris Valu-smarts at $2314.32. Also I'm expecting a qoute on Simonton's Reflections 5050. Am I making to much of this or is there a big difference in any of these windows.

So far I think i'm leaning towards either the Simonton Prism bronze, or maybe one of the Polaris windows. I'd like to find out a little more about the Jeld-Wen. I"m assuming it's the builders vinyl series, but thats just a guess.

When or if I get the qoute on the Reflections 5050 I'll post. Anybody have any input as to what the best deal is so far?? Thanks again.

Simonton's 5050 are their bottom of the line. The 5500 are a bit more but much better bang for the buck