What's the Real Difference between Simonton Windows??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TJ_Carr

What's the Real Difference between Simonton Windows??

#1 Post by TJ_Carr »

So, what's the real difference between all the different Simonton models & what's the best bang for the buck performance wise?

As of right now we are looking at a Impressions 9800 Bay and then 2 lite sliders & am looking at dual pane ETC Super 366 package that qualifies for the energy tax credit.....

Prism:
Platinum
Ultra Gold
Bronze
Generations 6000

Impressions

Simonton Reflections

Skydawggy

Re: What's the Real Difference between Simonton Windows??

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

The Prism Platinum and the Reflections 5500 are the same window.
The Prism Ultra Gold is the same as the Reflections 5300
The Prism Bronze is the same as the Reflections 5050

The Impressions 9800 is Simontons Flagship window.

Which glass pack is best for you depends on what part of the country you live in.

canuck

#3 Post by canuck »

i sold many 5500's back in the day. i have an exclusive with another brand but offered the 5500 for those that could not afford my other window. that said it was a decent window and any problems i ever had(few) simonton were always very nice and easy to deal with.
the 9800 used to be sold as an exclusive but i now believe anyone can sell it. it is the top of the line series. i have never seen it other than pictures. curious to see if the handles look like the old schuco handle or something different. simonton have no close ups of the handles on their site.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I never liked the lift rail on the 9800. A few years ago we were going to start selling them based on the good experience we had on the 5500. The 10 salesman samples they delivered were very poorly welded to the point that we declined to sell the product.

TJ_Carr

#5 Post by TJ_Carr »

Thanks, was looking at the 9800 but think we will take a much closer look at the 5500 instead, should be getting a quote on em later this week.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

In California the Impressions 7300 is the best line in my option. Maximum glass space is what most of my customers are looking for.

The Verona line is their bottom end line and made for new construction. I am seeing dealers selling it as Simonton's good line.

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

Here is a picture of the Simonton 9800 with the new lift handles and sash lock; it’s a nice sturdy lift handle. The picture should enlarge when you click on it.
We have seen a great improvement in the weld cleaning of the 9800

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

This may show it better

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

I have to admit I like the newer version better. Lift rails are a big improvement and the welds do look much cleaner. How do the exterior welds look?

canuck

#10 Post by canuck »

so its a handle not a rail..is do all windows have 2 handles or does it have to be more than 36" for example?

BRUUUUCE

#11 Post by BRUUUUCE »

Sky Dawggy,

Which glass pack would you recommend for the northeast/New Jersey?

TJ_Carr

#12 Post by TJ_Carr »

We are looking at going with a dual pane ETC super 366 glass package here in Wyoming, is this a good choice??

Bill

#13 Post by Bill »

For any region that experiences winter I would not use the Low-e 366 it has a very low solar heat gain coefficient and the glass is a bit dark. I would use this glass in the South only. Choose a glass pack with the standard softcoat low-e glass

When I sell the 5500 I just choose Super Spacer and you get the 1” glass package with double strength Glass as listed below. This glass pack qualifies for the tax rebate and costs a few dollars less than the ETC glass pack. In the 5500 series all the ETC glass packages are single strength glass. There are a few pricing irregularities in Simonton’s pricing.

This is what I sell in New Jersey for double pane glass.

All the glass in the 9800 is double strength.

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=86"); DP:25; Test Number=91631.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

TJ_Carr

#14 Post by TJ_Carr »

Bill wrote:For any region that experiences winter I would not use the Low-e 366 it has a very low solar heat gain coefficient and the glass is a bit dark. I would use this glass in the South only. Choose a glass pack with the standard softcoat low-e glass

Ahh, got ya, was thinking it was the other way around.... :oops: :oops:

BRUUUUCE

#15 Post by BRUUUUCE »

Bill wrote:For any region that experiences winter I would not use the Low-e 366 it has a very low solar heat gain coefficient and the glass is a bit dark. I would use this glass in the South only. Choose a glass pack with the standard softcoat low-e glass

When I sell the 5500 I just choose Super Spacer and you get the 1” glass package with double strength Glass as listed below. This glass pack qualifies for the tax rebate and costs a few dollars less than the ETC glass pack. In the 5500 series all the ETC glass packages are single strength glass. There are a few pricing irregularities in Simonton’s pricing.

This is what I sell in New Jersey for double pane glass.

All the glass in the 9800 is double strength.

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=86"); DP:25; Test Number=91631.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

Bill,

Whereabouts are you in Jersey? I'm looking for a quote on Simontons. I'm in Hunterdon County.