"Capital" windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
randnday

"Capital" windows?

#1 Post by randnday »

We are just beginning what appears will be a long search for the right windows, and our first consultation was with "Capital" windows. They are on the east coast, and we in particular are in Atlanta. His sales pitch was good, and they claim to give a lifelong warranty with 2 transfers allowed. Have any of you heard of this company? We didn't buy as pressured to do, but yeah, he was good. My husband wants vinyl windows, but I'm interested in researching fiberglass as well. I'm new here and can't possibly catch up with all these topics. Thanks in advance.

Skydawggy

Re: "Capital" windows?

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd start by finding out who makes their windows.

If you are searching for information on a local company, it's usually better to search places like the BBB, Angies List and references from previous customers.

randnday

#3 Post by randnday »

Thanks for the response. We are just beginning to look and it seemed unlikely to us that the 1st company we talked with would be the best, but after searching around and reading some of this forum, they are in the running. They have their own company, make their own windows, and have been in business for 25 years. They warranty their windows for life, or will allow 2 transfers. The sales rep brought in a sample window and went over every point of construction. They seem so well-made, but we are not impulse buyers and wouldn't commit until we've shopped around and researched a bit. (A lot.) If the window breaks for any reason, you just take the pane out (they're removeable), get the serial number off the side and call... they make a new one and send it. We were put off at the end of the sales pitch when he said we'd save about $10,000 if we agreed to let them use our house for advertising. We didn't have a problem with the advertising, but we had to make the decision "right then" that night, and we don't take kindly to that kind of sales pressure. They don't advertise per se, but send out high school and college kids to canvas, telemarket, etc., and part of their literature contains people's photos and letters of commendation. That's part of how they keep the cost down. For 23 windows of many different sizes the total bill (including all installation) would have been under $15,000. The outside of the windows "clean themselves" with a special coating. A lot of different things made them look like a great window, especially the warranty.

So... my husband and I have installed our own windows in other homes and fully expected to do this ourselves, too, but if the price is good for well-made windows installed professionally, we'll probably let em do it. We still have to research.

randnday

#4 Post by randnday »

Also, we aren't subscribers to Angie's List, but the sales rep had a certificate of some kind the company received from Angie's List with a high recommendation. The website is http://www.capitalremodeling.com. I still think we may end up going with them. Only one problem is a large picture window (106 x 49) that we'd like to take to the floor. They couldn't do it unless the window was removed and cut out by another contractor (brick house) and then they'd measure to make the window to order. I guess we could live with it boarded up for 6 weeks. The other thing is I'm not so sure I like the look of vinyl windows, and wanted to look into fiberglass a bit, too. The house is 50 years old, could look great with wood windows, but my husband doesn't think they're worth the cost.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Lie #1. They don't make their own windows. They sell a window made in Maryland by a company called Vytex.
Lie #2. Run from any company offering to use your house as model home. This is one of the oldest home improvement sales tactic on the books. In fact, in the State of Maryland where they have their HQ, it's actually illegal to use this tactic.
Lie #3. The special price is not good for today only. I assure you if you call them in a few weeks, the offer will still be good. In fact, you can probably expect a call from the manager soon, offering to lower the price even more.

I'm pretty sure had I been sitting in on the presentation, I would have caught at least a dozen more outright lies, distortions of the truth and a number of creative embellishments.

The reality. Vytex isn't a bad quality window but there are many other choices that are better and can be purchased for the same price of less. Capital Remodeling's workmanship is decent, certainly not what I would consider top quality. They rely on sales and install volume and aren't quite as meticulous as many other companies.

First you will need to decide whether you want vinyl, fiberglass or wood before anyone here can really help you.

randnday

#6 Post by randnday »

Wow, thanks for all that! I knew they couldn't be all perfect, but I didn't think he was actually lying. I also didn't know that was an old sales gimick to have us advertise for them. Well, to tell the truth, I'm really leaning more to fiberglass, but we still have a lot of research to do. We just bought this house a few months ago. It's a 50-yr-old, 4-sided brick ranch, and I think we can improve the exterior asthetics a lot by putting a little extra money into the windows and getting something with more of an architectual appeal. We can do the work ourselves, so I hope we can save enough money to convince my husband this is the way to go. The only fiberglass replacement windows I've looked at thus far are Marvins. I really appreciate all your input.