Soundproof windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
xalex25

Soundproof windows

#1 Post by xalex25 »

I’m replacing seven double hung windows and got three quotes.
Home Depot, 6500 model – 4200
Local dealers, Alside Sheffield – 3150
Local vinyl manufacturer – 2450
These are NYC prices so I’m assuming they are probably higher than average around the country due to installation cost.

I’m thinking about eliminating the local manufacturer, their window frame is a lot thinner than the other two and spacer is metal. From the demonstrations 6500 and Sheffield look similar to me with 6500 being just a little more refined. Considering the window and the price I’m leaning towards the Local dealers and their Sheffield. Any advice about my decision is appreciated.

I also have question about my options to make the windows more soundproof. I live across a school, so this big issue for me. During window demonstrations I was told that my options are either triple pane windows or a double pane window with one of the panes being double thickness made up of two pieces of glass glued together. I may have misunderstood the second option so if someone could correct me I’d appreciate it. Which one would be more soundproof?

Thank you.

Windows on Washington

Re: Soundproof windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I prefer the Simonton of that grouping but I would recommend a local contractor.

In terms of the sound proofing, sound attenuation is the result of 3 things: mass, air space, and thickness.

Here are some links for you to browse around:

http://www.archtest.com/testing/faqs.aspx?id=2

http://www.viracon.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=204

In most cases, a well sealed double pane will provide some improvement, however, that is not a rule and depending on the window combination, it can be worsened.

The best investment in a double pane window will be the addition of laminated glass.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1 on the laminated.
Some mfg have special glazing packages for sound reduction.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree on the laminated glass option.. This is what the sales guys were describing with the 2 pieces "glued" together. Its what you would find in the windshield of a car and even side windows of many luxury cars to make the cabin quieter. Windows are actually given a rating called STC which will indicate how they will perform in this regard.
You might try and get another quote or two. Those are both flawed combos, as the 6500 is decent mid-level product but the installation will be highly suspect, while the local guy would be installing a mediocre product, even if the installation is great.

xalex25

#5 Post by xalex25 »

Thanks for the comments.

“Windows on Washington” do recommend the local dealer because you don’t recommend the HD installation?

After spending some time reading through posts on this site especially the one by “dummy” about his Sheffield’s, I’m leaning away from Alside.

I got the price from the local dealer to upgrade Sheffield’s to laminated and it’s an additional $164 per window ($450). I believe the HD guy was including the laminated option in the $4200 price. I will try to get another local dealer to give me a quote for Simonton, is 5500 comparable to HD 6500? Also I’ll try to find a dealer for Gorell, which model is comparable to Simonton?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a window dealer in the NYC area that has the brands recommended on this forum?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Site restrictions don't allow outside referrals, but I'd simply search the Gorell "dealer finder" for your zip code and request armour glass.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I would look for a window with a low air infiltration rate to help with the sound.Be cautious going by STC ratings they can be misleading.I would read WOW's links, they have some good info.

xalex25

#8 Post by xalex25 »

I'm having another local dealer present Okna and Gorell. Can I please get a recommendation for model for both companies?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

800 Series in the Okna line, 5300 in Gorell.

xalex25

#10 Post by xalex25 »

We got quotes of 3825 for Okna 800 and 4400 for Gorell 5300 for seven double hungs. We went with Okna (foam in frame,argon,low e, no grids). What do you think about this deal?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

xalex25 wrote:We got quotes of 3825 for Okna 800 and 4400 for Gorell 5300 for seven double hungs. We went with Okna (foam in frame,argon,low e, no grids). What do you think about this deal?
That is very, very aggressive (i.e. good for you) pricing.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Excellent product, excellent deal.

Xavieur

#13 Post by Xavieur »

I'm also in the DC region and considering the Okna. Who gave you that quote? I got one from Windows on Washington for $3520 or 440 ea for the Okna 500 alone, uninstalled, for 8 windows. What's the difference?

Anyone heard of Enviro-Star 800 windows? Or is that the same? How is sound protection - I'm near a main road?

Any othe good brands at that price from the gallery?

Xavieur

#14 Post by Xavieur »

And what's the real benefit of argon vs krypton gas?

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The 800Dx is the best vinyl window you can buy. If you are serious about sound reduction you will want laminated glass, it aint cheap.
In your climate zone argon will be fine, unless you want to spend more money.
Of course you hope you get what you pay for, a great product, a great company and a great install.
You know what Ron's grand pappy said, "we are to poor to pay to do this twice."