Window recommendations for SF Bay Area/California

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
StrandedInCali

Window recommendations for SF Bay Area/California

#1 Post by StrandedInCali »

Hi,

First time poster, and have seen lots of very good info on this forum. Unfortunately, most of it, and what appears to be the most heavily recommended windows, all appear to be for the midwest and back east. Absolutely love what I see of the Sunrise windows, but they don't appear to be available anywhere west of Colorado. Same for Okna, Hi-Lite, etc.

With that in mind, is this really true? And if so, any suggestions on good quality alternatives to consider that are available in my area?

My project is 10 replacement windows of various shapes and sizes, plus a french door. most are single sliding, with 2 single hung, one double hung, and one 3 lite slider. I've had American Vision Windows come over, who basically push Anlin hard and seem pretty expensive and, worse, the windows appear very bulky. You lose lots of actual window with these. Have someone quoting Simonton 7300s right now and may ask about 9800s, but seems like all the names at the beginning of this post get the nod from folks here over the Simontons, so...

Any suggestions on better options that are actually available in my area?

Thx very much - open to installer referrals too.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window recommendations for SF Bay Area/California

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sure one of the other posters will give some feedback but on the West coast but Simonton is a decent window as is Milgard and I think many folks think highly of Amerimax too.

StrandedInCali

#3 Post by StrandedInCali »

Thanks very much for the quick response, WoW. I take it from your response that you agree that most of the windows you and some others normally tout as the best simply aren't available on the West Coast?

I'm also assuming, but please correct me if I'm wrong, that you don't have any experience with Anlin windows? Fom what I've heard, they haven't extended their reach to the East Coast - they specifically focus on California, and now have extended into Arizona/Nevada. Haven't seen anything horrible written up about them, but they seem much bulkier than most other alternatives. I can't believe that they're the only guys to make a structurally sound vinyl window, but that's what the guy selling them would have you believe. And unfortunately, I hadn't done much research before he arrived and gave me the pitch. Since then however, It appears there are lots of good manufacturers (few for Cali though), and most appear to be able to make good quality windows without making them plastic heavy, glass light.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure about Soft-Lite or Sunrise but HiMark and Okna are not out in CA yet.

Anlin appears to be well regarded.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, I don't believe that any of those are available out there at this time. I have not used Anlin , nor have I heard anything bad. My recommendation would be to compare the performance ratings... The only windows that I personally feel confident in recommending out there are the Simonton and Milgard.

StrandedInCali

#6 Post by StrandedInCali »

Thanks to both of you - really appreciate the quick responses. My quote on Simonton 7300/7500 mix of products came in at ~60% of the Anlin/American Vision Windows install quote. The Simonton install would be done by a small couple person contractor company, but they've been in business for quite a while and have an A+ BBB rating and no web complaints.

So not sure about how much better or worse the Anlin windows are than Simonton, but if I assume both are quality windows, the install cost seems to be quite a bit out of whack. I'm getting other quotes to compare, using both windows.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Its never a bad idea to get multiple quotes. Thats definitely the best way to gauge pricing in your area. :)

jfrostp

#8 Post by jfrostp »

How is your process coming? I'm in a similar situation and located in the bayarea. I've had milgard quoted (which I have since ruled out, not a fan after comparing to anlin or simonton) and two vendors quote simonton (bay area window pros and dial glass.) The simonton quotes were very comparable. I also had bay area window pros quote anlin and the price was only a few hundred more then simonton. I should mention I'm having two double hung and 2 casement windows quoted. Did you really get a quote for simonton that is 60 % less then anlin? Would you mind sharing the name of the installers? Any luck getting anymore anlin quotes? I have to admit I prefer the anlin windows, they look better built, nicer weld seems, better gaskets. Just my opinion.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

the one issue that stands out with Anlin is the fact that they are utilizing a Pocket Sill design. a pocket sill is an inferior design. basically lets water drain through the frame opposed to just the sill. the water goes through the frame and then theough weep holes..these weep holes get clogged and then how does the water drain? keep in mind as the water drains, it is carrying dirt and debris with it .
if you look at an older window withna pocket sill or a snap in sloped, you will always see black gunk in the corners due to clogging. very unsightly.
you want a welded sloped sill.

rhap1380

#10 Post by rhap1380 »

Hi, Im in No. Cal too(Bay area) and looking at simonton Daylight Max vs Anlin Del Mar which Am. Vision says is step up from Daylight Max. Post covid, prices have gone sky high since 15 yrs ago when we last looked at vinyl windows. There is about $3000 difference between the two now, Anilin being higher. Not quite apples to apples since one included tempered glass and one didn't. Couldn't decide between two since both have real good double life warranty(transferable to 2nd owner). Anlin's is a little better since they cover screens for life and Simonton only for 1 year. Del mar has foam in the frame, but Simonton has better visible glass(though one might not really notice) and it has two hand rails on the single hung instead of one. Both seem to have good customer service and their own installers. Both have long lead times right now...Anlin is smaller company and Simonton has been around a long time. Decision...decision...any current comments or recommendations as what else to consider?

donalexinder24

#11 Post by donalexinder24 »

Hello,
real estate istanbul
Soft-Lite and Sunrise may be available in California, however HiMark and Okna are not.