Deployed Marine Requests A Little Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sksiazki

Deployed Marine Requests A Little Help

#1 Post by sksiazki »

Good evening guys.

I'm a Marine, currently deployed in Afghanistan with a rehab project going on back home in California. I'm getting ready to have windows installed and thankfully I stumbled upon you guys before I pulled the trigger.

Post rehab, my home is a $650-700k property in the San Diego area which I picked up for a deal as a pre-foreclosure. I'm fortunate enough to have my father running the rehab for me while I'm deployed. He's been a carpenter for 40 odd years, however he's been out of the business for the last five or so, and really doesn't have much knowledge on window manufacturers.

The house was built in 1973 and still has the original windows which I need to replace along with adding a sliding back door. So far the recommendations we have gotten from local businesses are Milgard and Reliabilt. However after reading up on them, neither sound like very good windows/companies? Fortunately the home only has eight windows that need to be replaced, and the slider. I'd like to have them all slide open. The sizes are
93" x 55 3/4" - depending on price, may just use single piece of glass and not be able to open
43" x 55 3/4"
two 45" x 55 3/4"
57" x 55 3/4"
57" x 33"
45" x 14"
27" x 31 3/4"
93" x 80" door

I'm a 30 year old Marine, I have a limited budget, I can't afford to spend crazy amounts of money for top of the line. If possible I would like to spend $5k or less (I'm waiting for ya'll to tell me this is impossible haha). That being said, I'm not interested in buying garbage. My goal is to at least meet the standard of the $700k neighborhood without breaking the bank. The location will sell the house if and when I decide to move, having mid-level or a little above, windows wont affect its sale.

I apologize for asking this broad, general, newbie question but would you please give me some recommendations? I'm sure there is a lot of information in past forum posts but my internet capability and time in general is limited. (Its 10:07pm right now, I'm ready to go home and go to sleep..)

Thank you very much
Sam

p.s. Windows on Washington, I apologize but I saw what awesome information you give on this forum so I also emailed your company directly...even though you guys obviously wouldnt benefit from my business being in CA. Thanks for any help.

bgbrock

Re: Deployed Marine Requests A Little Help

#2 Post by bgbrock »

Thank you for serving this great country!

Milgard is a pretty decent window, however I , personally, am not a fan of any window that the big box stores sell, in this case Reliabilt. The old adage - you get what you pay for - really holds true in the window industry.

You may want to check out Anlin windows (made in CA as well), as it is a well regarded window. Not certain of their pricing structure however.

Good luck...and thanks again.

sksiazki

#3 Post by sksiazki »

Thanks for the reply. It is our honor to serve, we thank you for the support.

I had been feeling fine buying Milgards until I did more online digging. Especially this site makes it sound like they dont stand behind their product or warranty.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/milgard.html

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

No sweat Sam.

I just pinged you back on email.

Thank you for your service and feel free to email me back and forth and we will get you sorted out.

sksiazki

#5 Post by sksiazki »

Got it. Thank you very much. I definitely appreciate your help, it's very generous of you.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

sksiazki wrote:Got it. Thank you very much. I definitely appreciate your help, it's very generous of you.
Much more generous of your Pops to be completely honest.

:lol: :lol:

sksiazki

#7 Post by sksiazki »

haha oh trust me amico, I am paying him for all his work lol no free lunch here at all. It is nice to have someone I can trust there on the ground though.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

sksiazki wrote:haha oh trust me amico, I am paying him for all his work lol no free lunch here at all. It is nice to have someone I can trust there on the ground though.
You can't put a tag on having someone who really cares about the install and has some skills.

Its kind of like the difference between dropping the kids off at Grandma's house vs. Daycare.

It will be money well spent. The house should be beautiful when you are all done and you certainly deserve it!