lexan windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
survivor

lexan windows

#1 Post by survivor »

Has anyone heard of Lexan being used for replacement windows? I thought I saw something on one of the home improvement shows that they may be using them now.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Not gonna happen to replace glass. More expensive.. petroleum based product... durable but easily scratched when produced in clear surface form. Lexan is used in many high end product parts like some of Schuco's latches, ATT payphones and military jet canopies.

Great for certain applications... not so good for others.

Oberon

lexan

#3 Post by Oberon »

Yep...

Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate. As Fen stated, it is a great product in the right application, and not the right product in others.

Polycarbonate has about half the sound blocking abilty of glass - equal thickness - and about half the energy performance numbers.

If not protected with a UV inhibitor it will rather quickly yellow and become brittle. Also the coefficient of expansion is many times that of glass.

Not a good glass replacement product - although it does have amazing impact performance.

researcher

#4 Post by researcher »

[QUOTE]..."If not protected with a UV inhibitor it will rather quickly yellow and become brittle. Also the coefficient of expansion is many times that of glass."

Oberon, may I ask you how polycarbonate compairs to vinyl as far as getting brittle in UV light and coefficient of expansion?

windowrep

#5 Post by windowrep »

i have a piece of lexan in the windshield of a stock car. $268 for a piece that is 36" x 72" . i have used it for the last 4 years. from what i have noticed it obviously scratches fairly easily and you have to really watch what you clean it with. as far as becoming brittle i sure hope not and i have not noticed any difference in it. it is also as clear as the first day that it was put it. not yellowing yet. but remember this piece only sees 1 or 2 days of sunlight a week. in my opinion it would make the worst possible substitute for glass. unless the kids across the street are throwing rocks at your windows all day long.

Tru_blue

Lexan in a vinyl window?

#6 Post by Tru_blue »

The main phrase to consider with Lexan is "Impact Resistance." It is (usually) a clear transparent polycarbonate, similar to acrylic or Plexiglas, but much tougher and more durable. I've used it lots of times, (probably about 50x) but only for single glazed code and security applications. I don't think it can even be used in an IG unit. Moves too much, both with flex and with expansion. It has many uses, including bulletproof glass, security glazing. Toughest glazing I've ever used. Ever see an extra protective layer over a chruch's stained glass window? Or over a central city business? It was probably Lexan. Single glazed. Security. High impact resistance. Tough. Good for using to replace broken glass in a storm/screen combination door where code requires safety glass and one does not want to wait for tempered glass to be made; you can score and cut Lexan right away (although with all the flex in it for .125" thickness, it's not my 1st choice). For exterior use (bus shelters, phone booths, window security coverings, skylites, pool enclosures, etc.) it is made with UV inhibitors, which makes it a perfectly acceptable performer. It's also used for non-glazing items such as CDs & DVDs, signage, water bottles, iPods, and a substitute for many "plastic" parts that require more durability (such as storm window latches, machine guards, and many small parts). If memory serves it's very heat-resistant too, not softening until the temperature reaches the upper 200s.

I'd be wary of getting IG with Lexan, if it's even available. Again, it's great for single glazed high-impact high-security situations, but "vinyl windows" and "single glazed" are two phrases that seldom go together.

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

I have several peaces of Lexan that measure 3/16" thick 24" long 2 1/2" wide that are about 25 years old that were never exposed to sun light.
When the Lexan was not that old, I could take and bend it too the point where the two ends would touch and it would not break; but now they do.

ralf12A

Re: lexan windows

#8 Post by ralf12A »

Lexan sheeting is a type of clear plastic that is often used in windows and other applications where transparency is desired. Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate sheeting, which is a type of thermoplastic. It is made from bisphenol A (BPA) and polycarbonate (PC) resins.

Lexan sheeting is known for its high impact resistance, which makes it an excellent choice for windows in high-traffic areas or in areas where safety is a concern. It is also very clear, which makes it a popular choice for windows in homes and businesses. Lexan sheeting is also very lightweight, which makes it easy to install and work with.