Simonton 6500E Vantage Pointe vs Pella 250 Series

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
handywife

Simonton 6500E Vantage Pointe vs Pella 250 Series

#1 Post by handywife »

I am replacing half circle windows in an old home. I got quotes from Home Depot and local Pella distributor. Quotes are comparable. I am not sure how to compare both windows and brands. Some of the comments I got from the sales people:
Windows:
Simonton windows are a double thick glass at 1/8.
Pella is 3mm (0.120”) dual strength insulated.
Warranties:
HD:warranties the craftsmanship for lifetime , repairing all craftsmanship and product warranties with no labor or material charges.
Pella: warranty is 20 years glass, 10 years component parts and 10 years installation labor.

Can someone please guide me to ask the right questions and how to compare the windows?

I think HD has some exclusions and limitations but besides warranties, what else should I look for ?

Thanks,
LP

Pella 250 Series, Direct Set Fixed Frame Half Circle

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 6500E Vantage Pointe vs Pella 250 Series

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

While normally I would say neither, the fixed nature of these windows negates some of the rationale for that type of recommendation (i.e. build quality and air leakage).

Both should serve you fine and I would go with whichever company you feel more comfortable with in this case.

Keep in mind, there are still better options out there if I were going to hazard a guess.

handywife

#3 Post by handywife »

Windows on Washington wrote:While normally I would say neither, the fixed nature of these windows negates some of the rationale for that type of recommendation (i.e. build quality and air leakage).

Both should serve you fine and I would go with whichever company you feel more comfortable with in this case.

Keep in mind, there are still better options out there if I were going to hazard a guess.
Than you for the feedback.
What other options are better ?
LP

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on where you are in the country. Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Kensington Quantum II, and Okna are all solid windows.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above.

Another thing to keep in mind is the importance of a quality installation. This is really a major factor to consider. Box stores and "bargain" window type chains typically pay their installers less, so that could potentially translate to the quality of your install... Just food for thought.