North Texas Window Replacement Options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
FlightSR

North Texas Window Replacement Options

#1 Post by FlightSR »

Hey all,

This website has been a great resource for me to educate myself on vinyl windows and really narrow down the field. I have 5 x 72x36 west facing windows that I am looking to replace. I have had four companies come out and pitch and quote their product lines. I have narrowed it down to a few. I'd like to get your opinions on which is the best bang for the buck. Double hung really isn't a big deal for us, so we could go either way.

NT Traditions (Presidential) DH - $3846.37
NT Traditions SH - $3493.83
Burris TechView AC SH - $2916.00
Alside Mozzo SH - $3160.00
Sunrise SH - $3310.63
Sunrise DH - $4391.13

Thoughts?

Windows on Washington

Re: North Texas Window Replacement Options

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I will wait for randy at Ultra Windows to reply.

I like the Sunrise of that list as long as we aren't talking about the Essentials.

FlightSR

#3 Post by FlightSR »

Thanks. I also wanted to get everyone's input on DYW thermally broken aluminum windows. Are they appropriate for North Texas...even with poor U-Factor?

Thanks

Adam

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Personally, I like the Don Young 8200 series thermally-broken aluminum a lot and it's one of my biggest sellers in Houston. Dallas is borderline as you get some pretty cold winters and that can possibly result in sweating more than deeper south. Great product however, with incredible strength and durability, along with some of the narrowest frames available. They no longer meet the Energy Star guidelines, if that matters to you.

Which line of Sunrise are you considering? I don't care for their single hung since it's not reinforced, but then neither is the base Sunrise double hung for that matter. You have to step up to the Vanguard or Restorations for that feature, and I consider it an essential for Texas - particularly larger window with direct sun exposure.

NT's Presidential and Traditions are good choices for a mid-grade vinyl window. It's automatically reinforced, and comes standard with double strength glass and Low-E366.

I'm not a fan of the other brand mentioned.

FlightSR

#5 Post by FlightSR »

The installer called his window the Sunrise model...which he states for all intensive purposes it is it Vanguard without the reinforced center rail. It is not the Essentials line.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

Sunrise is the best performer of the bunch, with the strongest warranty. However, in long-term durability I'd give the nod to NT Traditions or Presidential.

Are the installation details the same for both contractors?

FlightSR

#7 Post by FlightSR »

Same install details, I think the NT installer has the edge on Angie's List reviews. Should there be any structural or performance concerns going from DH to SH on the NT?

randy

#8 Post by randy »

No, the single hung is just as solid.

FlightSR

#9 Post by FlightSR »

Thanks. I may get a bid from DYC, but outside of that, I think NT is the way to go. We are only planning to stay in the house 6-7 more years, but our 1987 builder grade windows are horrible, so definitely time for an upgrade.

Thanks for all your help.

Adam
Last edited by FlightSR on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

FlightSR

#10 Post by FlightSR »

I received a quote from DYC for $3400 for their 8200 series al window. I am not sure how much of a difference the 0.29 U-Factor with the NT vs 0.42 of the DYC will really come into play in this region.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Based on all you've said, the NT lines would be my choice.

FlightSR

#12 Post by FlightSR »

DYC installer just came out to pitch their product. In addition to the Al quote above, he quoted me $3250 for the vinyl 5200 series.

Any feedback on the quality of that vinyl window?

Thanks,

Adam

randy

#13 Post by randy »

Between the NT Traditions and the Don Young 5200, for the small price difference I'd go with NT. Don Young's vinyl windows have been a little sloppy lately it seems to me. Of course this is speaking to product only, and the installation is every bit as important as the window.