Low-e windows and green hue - help!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
erical62477

Low-e windows and green hue - help!

#1 Post by erical62477 »

We are in the process of trying to replace some of our windows. I am in Tampa, FL and have pretty stringent energy efficiency codes to meet. Note that I am NOT doing impact windows.

I would like to use PGT windows because our friends own a reputable window/door company and that is the brand they recommend. However, I can not stand the green low-e hue of the Solarban 70XL that is on the PGT windows (my neighbor had hers replaced so I've seen them in person). Another neighbor recently replaced their windows too and I do not notice the green hue so I called the company that replaced them and they told me the glass was Cardinal 366. Is there really that much of a difference in the low-e between these two glass manufacturers? Do I need to find a company that uses Cardinal?

My other option is to do the grey glass with the low-e through PGT but it makes my VLT .29. Our current old windows have some tint on them from the previous owners and when I compared the samples next to our current windows (over a piece of plexiglass in a broken pane), it actually looks lighter.

I really just don't know what to do.... except that I can not live with green looking windows. I know everyone says I'll get used to it, but I'm sorry, I don't think I will!

Pictures are of the PGT glass samples.

Meadowlark Windows

Re: Low-e windows and green hue - help!

#2 Post by Meadowlark Windows »

The 366 is definitely more appealing to my eye as well. I'm not sure what glass manufacturer PGT uses for their glass.

It's hard to tell from a picture and it's not my house but if the color is really going to bother you then I would go with the one that isn't going to give you second thoughts every time you look out your window. Any idea what manufacturer made the windows in your neighbor's house? The one's with the cardinal glass?

LoneStarGuy

#3 Post by LoneStarGuy »

My windows have Cardinal glass in them, they have an etching in the lower right corner readable from the inside that will tell you the type of glass used. Mine say 366. So ask your neighbor if you could look at his. If you'd like a bluer tint you may want to consider Cardinal LoE-340. It is quite a bit darker. I only used it for the home office window.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

erical62477

#5 Post by erical62477 »

Well I just met with another vendor who said they can order PGT windows with the 366. When I called PGT the other day they told me they use Solarban but when I just called back to ask if they can be ordered with 366, they said yes. Why is this so confusing?!

I just want as much light as possible coming through, but without the green hue. If I add the low-e to grey glass, then it becomes turtle glass and is quite a bit darker. I understand Florida and our county wanting energy efficiency savings, but it sucks from an appearance perspective!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Much like many choices out there, it is a trade off on some level. I will say that most clients, even those that are light sensitive, don't seem to mind it after it is installed for about a week.

I would ask about Low-e 272 as referenced above.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Can't say that I've ever had a client upset about the green hue post install or even heard complaints about competitor windows. The only way that you will notice it is if you put a piece of white paper against it, its really not perceptible to the eye under normal circumstances. Most folks aren't even aware that all of the glass in their car windows are green tinted. Its the most common color of glass by far... If you can get a piece of each side by side for comparison, and if the the option that you prefer is offered by the manufacturer that you want, then its a win-win I suppose. 366 is not exactly "lightly"" tinted either, so it would be good to see side by side.