ProVia, OKNA, Simonton, or Reliabilt

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Mac90

ProVia, OKNA, Simonton, or Reliabilt

#1 Post by Mac90 »

I need 3 windows, an entry door, and a patio sliding door. Lets forget about the entry door because only ProVia makes them, out of these 4.

**None of the below prices are installed, this is me buying and installing myself.
**I am in Western PA

-----
ProVia Endure windows with DLA-UV is:
~$350 @ 43x53"
~$300 @ 42x42"
~$2000 for an Endure sliding patio door with DLA
-----
OKNA(same sizes as above)
500 series(Dual Pane HeatSeal Deluxe) - $1130
800 series(Dual Pane HeatSeal Deluxe) - $1250

I was afraid to ask what an OKNA sliding door would be.
-----
Simonton
I have home depot coming in a few days for a quote on them. They seem to be comparable in price to ProVia.
-----
Reliablt 3900
These are purchased through lowes. Seem to be made by Atrium and get good reviews. Prices are comparable to ProVia.
-----

#1) From what I can tell ProVia and OKNA are very comparable, almost exactly the same, only major difference I saw was the magnetic seal on the OKNA 800 series. What warrants the COMPLETELY INSANE price difference? :lol: ..I only seem to have 1 dealer in my area to go off of..
#2) How does Simonton compare to ProVia?
#3) Any other major brand I should be looking at? ProVia has been #1 on my list, but I like to be thorough.

Appreciate the help!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: ProVia, OKNA, Simonton, or Reliabilt

#2 Post by masterext »

Okna and provia are best by a large margin. Reliabilt is way at the bottom.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

The ProVia seems way to low and the Okna seems way high. I get the feeling I am missing something.

Mac90

#4 Post by Mac90 »

masterext wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm Okna and provia are best by a large margin. Reliabilt is way at the bottom.
I will remove reliabilt.

Any notable difference between ProVia and OKNA? ..what about Simonton?
toddinmn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:25 pm The ProVia seems way to low and the Okna seems way high. I get the feeling I am missing something.
All legit. I received all of these quotes via e-mail to have for future reference. The ProVia quote is from a building supply company while the OKNA quote is from a window installation company.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:25 pm The ProVia seems way to low and the Okna seems way high. I get the feeling I am missing something.
I completely agree.

The Provia price sounds like dealer wholesale cost on the window, whereas the Okna price sounds like a fully installed price. There has to be something getting lost in translation here, or that Okna dealer REALLY does not want to sell you windows DIY. There is a contributor here named The Window Nerd, he has a company called Taylor and Young. Not sure if he services your area, but if he can't help, he may be able to get you a referral for a more competitive quote on the Okna option... that is of course assuming that there isn't simply a misunderstanding, which I would encourage you to verify as your first step.

On product, I agree with the others. Okna at top, followed by Provia. Simonton a distant third IMO. I put the Okna over the Provia due to superior (even if only slightly in some areas) performance ratings, and a longer, proven track record of specializing in windows.

Mac90

#6 Post by Mac90 »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 pm I completely agree.

The Provia price sounds like dealer wholesale cost on the window, whereas the Okna price sounds like a fully installed price. There has to be something getting lost in translation here, or that Okna dealer REALLY does not want to sell you windows DIY. There is a contributor here named The Window Nerd, he has a company called Taylor and Young. Not sure if he services your area, but if he can't help, he may be able to get you a referral for a more competitive quote on the Okna option... that is of course assuming that there isn't simply a misunderstanding, which I would encourage you to verify as your first step.

On product, I agree with the others. Okna at top, followed by Provia. Simonton a distant third IMO. I put the Okna over the Provia due to superior (even if only slightly in some areas) performance ratings, and a longer, proven track record of specializing in windows.
I had multiple changes to the windows and got prices for a storm, entry and patio door from ProVia fairly sure those are good. You may be right about the OKNA because I asked about the price and he responded with "Sorry, but that's the price". ..haha

Looks like the window nerd is in eastern PA/philly, so not my area. I will try sending him a PM.

Air infiltration: .05(ProVia) VS .01-.02(OKNA) - not sure if it will make any difference?
U ratings only vary by ~.01

OKNA is better, but not at the prices I would have to pay :(

I think i am going to call around about soft-lite tomorrow

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Don't disagree with any of that Mac. Try for a more realistic Okna price, also look at Softlite Elements and LS. The Provia is very nice too, but that price just seems to good to be true. If its legit, and you don't have to worry about the dealer going out of business since you are installing yourself, that may just be a winner here to be honest.