Need Help with Replacement windows/patio door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kulha72

Need Help with Replacement windows/patio door

#1 Post by kulha72 »

I've done way too much research and feel no more informed than I was before. I'm looking for windows in the Ann Arbor Michigan area, and have had a few quotes.

Looking to replace 16 windows and a 3 pane 9' sliding sliding door.

Window Universe - Berkshire Elite, Sustanaview glass upgrade(Supposed to be a non-metal spacer) $10873 installed

Paradigm 8300 windows/door - 7100 parts, not entirely sure how to get a good installer to deal with them. (This is through a family member from a supply company)

Wallside windows - Unsure of the exact package, but $17,000 installed

Renewal by Anderson - 22k or something way higher

Not really sure what other windows to look for in the area or else to look for. I also have a company potentially coming out to quote Alside windows(which as I understand are the same as the Berkshire). I'm really banging my head against the wall here and don't know what to do. I really would like someone to just come in and deal with the whole process, which is making me not want to deal with ordering the Paradigm windows myself(unless they are significantly better). Is there someone else in this area I should be getting a quote from?

Thanks for any help,
Cameron

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Need Help with Replacement windows/patio door

#2 Post by masterext »

Since you are in michigan and most pro’s here recommend sunrise windows which are headquartered in your state, you should look into them. Also, soft lite.
No one here will be enthusiastic about alside.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise is certainly available as should Soft-Lite be.

I would be cautious with the friend of a family member. That has the potential to end poorly and take down a family relationship in the process.

kulha72

#4 Post by kulha72 »

Thanks! I'll get quotes on Sunrise and Softlite and go from there. Thanks for the advice.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on the recommendations above... Unless the family member has one source for product and install, I'd try to avoid that route. Sourcing product and install separately is one of the most common problems in home improvement. Everybody points fingers when issues arise, not to mention coordination and extra work on your part.

kulha72

#6 Post by kulha72 »

So, I've gotten some estimates from soft-lite dealer and sunrise dealer. Prices are very similar between 13-16k depending on package. Do you guys have any preference between those two?

Thanks!
Cameron

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Are these double hung or casement?
If double hung, the Softlite Elements and LS will offer the top performance of anything from either company.
If casement, I prefer the Sunrise Restorations and Vanguard.

kulha72

#8 Post by kulha72 »

12 double hung and 4 sliding windows

kulha72

#9 Post by kulha72 »

Also the Soft-lite were quoted 3,300 difference between elements and classic. Is it worth it?

Thanks

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Definitely worth it. Go with Elements over the classic if you can.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Agreed. The Elements is one of the very top performing windows available. Big jump in quality from the Classic imo.