Okna vs. UniShield Supreme

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
newhampswindows

Okna vs. UniShield Supreme

#1 Post by newhampswindows »

Hello there,

Living in Southern New Hampshire, looking to replace my upstairs windows, and possibly downstairs. Bought the house last year, and the previous owners replaced the downstairs with builder grade Ply Gem windows.. so they're OK now, but thinking about replacing them as well if the price is right. The windows upstairs are all original single pane, double hung windows from 1986. There are 7 that are about 53 by 37, one that's about 53 by 32, and one that's about 37 by 33. I also have a large picture window that's around 60 by 60 that I'm considering getting replaced downstairs.

Quote one: Pella
I feel like this guy was yanking my chain and I haven't heard great things about Pella windows anyway. He wanted $10k for all of the windows, not including the picture window. I think he said that one would be an additional $2500.

Quote two: Matthews Brothers
I haven't received the numbers yet, but I liked this guy more. He seemed more genuine. Should hopefully get these tonight.

Quote three: Okna
I haven't gotten any official numbers for this one, they are going to come back sometime next week to do official measurements and go over total costs and payment terms if we do financing.

Quote four: UniShield Supreme (triple pane with Krypton):
For this one, it'll be around $8500 INCLUDING the picture window (we're actually going to replace it with a sliding window). This also includes capping the trim with the aluminum vinyl stuff, but can take it out. I also had him price out the rest of the house, and it would be around $15,300 for all 18 windows.

I know Okna is a really quality window, and I'm waiting until I see numbers before making a final decision, but the UniShield Supremes are looking really energy efficient, even though they're made by Great Lakes, which is owned by Ply Gem. I really liked all of the installers I talked with aside from the first one.

I did make an appointment for Pella to come out tomorrow but I will probably cancel it.

Thoughts on Okna vs the UniShield, or anything else I need to know? Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna vs. UniShield Supreme

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure you "need" a Pella quote if you have a few others.

Post up some updates once the others come rolling in with the details.

newhampswindows

#3 Post by newhampswindows »

The quote for Mathews Brothers windows came in at $3880 for the 9 upstairs windows and the downstairs picture window installed. This seems very reasonable. I think if my husband sees this he'll definitely want to go with this one since it's the cheapest.

newhampswindows

#4 Post by newhampswindows »

Also, just looked at the official estimate from the first installer, and they're using Pella 250 series windows.

Ricknez

#5 Post by Ricknez »

Matthews brothers use a “ very basic” vinyl window and your husband may be choosing price over quality which in the long run will prove to be a poor investment strategy. The Pella 250 is NOT a good window as most here would attest to.
As far as Okna vs Unishield, when comparing apples to apples, Okna will be more efficient in terms of both Ufactor and air infiltration. Take a look at Okna’s total Ufactor in triple pane krypton and you will see what i mean. Although looks are subjective, most would probably choose Okna in that regard as well. Unishield is certainly not a bad window but Okna certainly has a few advantages.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Cheapest is RARELY the best value. Quality companies make a living replacing products that were installed as the "cheapest" option.

As far as the windows, Ricknez's comments are pretty much on point IMO. The Okna is a superior performer and on an elite level in that regard. The Unishield is pretty solid, although a step or two down.