Soft-Lite double-hung equivalent to Okna 800

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
paulp

Soft-Lite double-hung equivalent to Okna 800

#1 Post by paulp »

I'm looking to replace the 17 original wooden double-hung windows in my 30 year old house with vinyl replacement windows. I got a quote from one contractor who installs Okna and he recommends the Okna 800 double-hung window, and I see lots of posts in this forum that say the Okna 800 is a good window. Another contractor came out today who installs Soft-Lite and he recommends the Soft-Lite Pro double-hung window. Is that on par with the Okna 800, or is one of the other Soft-Lite models equivalent in quality and features to the Okna800? And what are the basic differences between those Soft-Lite models? I want to compare the quotes I get from the two contractors so I'm comparing apples to apples as far as the windows are concerned.

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite double-hung equivalent to Okna 800

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not really what we would call comparable models in those line ups.

The comparable Soft-Lite window to the Okna EnviroStar (800) is the Soft-Lite Elements.

The Okna 500 is still a bit better than the Soft-Lite Pro, but a more applicable comparison.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Soft Lite’s top windows are the Elements and the Imperial LS which are comparable to the Okna 800 and Okna 600 “ Eco Pro”. Depending on what state you reside in, certain offerings could be limited.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

The top window is the Element for Soft-Lite and the 800, the LS and 600 are a step down.

Ricknez

#5 Post by Ricknez »

Either of those 4 are excellent windows and made very well. To me, its a toss up. I dont see any step downs there. You will be very happy with either.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The step downs are clear but small. The biggest difference will be the installation and the company backing it.

paulp

#7 Post by paulp »

Both installers are highly recommended and get very high ratings on several online rating sites, so I'm confident both would do a good job. Both explained their installation procedure and I'm comfortable with both. The one who offered Soft-Lite Pro quoted a price of $9k installed. He provided a long list of references and I visited 8 that were within 2-3 miles of my house, and they all looked good from the outside (and all were bigger more expensive houses than mine). The one who offered Okna 800 quoted a price of $14k installed. We don't plan on staying in our house more than 2-3 more years, retired recently so hoping to move to smaller digs and a warmer climate. We just need to update a few things and fix a few things for prospective buyers who won't want to have to do that. Honestly, we live in a very attractive neighborhood with top rated schools and nobody has any problem selling their houses, most get multiple offers on the first day. And with my having to take care of some other things, I don't want to spend more money than I need to. So would the extra $5k for the Okna 800 be worth it, or would I be fine with the Soft-Lite Pro? In other words, are the Soft-Lite Pro and Okna 500 bad windows and I'd regret getting them, or just a little less in features and quality than the Middle and Top windows but still adequate and I'd be happy enough with them?

17 Double-Hung windows

Top: Soft-Lite Elements vs Okna 800/Enviro-Star ($14k installed)
Middle: Soft-Lite LS vs Okna 600/Eco-Pro
Low: Soft-Lite Pro ($9k installed) vs Okna 500/Insul-Tec

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough sell if I am just talking numbers and efficiency to recoup $5K in 3 years. Won't happen. That said, the 800 does have a different and "richer" look to it with the metal. Is there some resale benefit there...maybe. $5K, probably not. It is the flagship window for a reason, but I haven't heard you say which you like better. In 3 years, you are looking at a $4 per day differential.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

As explained above, the Elements and 800 are the flagships of those respective manufacturers for most purposes. The Ls is a small step down in SL, and the 600/500 is a small step down in Okna. Those windows are closely related in may ways. They lose some bells and whistles and a little bit of performance, but all are still upper tier selections, its just that the 800 and Elements are at the top of that Elite list.

The outlier here IMO is the Pro. You can do MUCH worse than that window to be sure, however unlike the others, that is a window that used to be the flagship of SL years ago and became somewhat obsolete in that capacity. They have made some upgrades to it to squeeze every ounce of performance that they can from it, but its an old chassis. Its the only one in this group that I've replaced at that the end of its useful life, and again while not bad, I wouldn't consider it in the same category as the others listed. If any of the others are close in price that is an easy choice IMO. I should also reinforce the point made by toddinmn though, which is that the installation and dealer are critical to the equation as well and that part could easily justify thousands more even on the very same product.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

The Pro is pretty good at what it does, and I would have no problem with that window in my house. 5k is 5k no matter how. Many days you chop it into and the difference in performance numbers is so small it is irrelevant IMO.
For $5200 I bought 2 jet skis on trailer and a nice street bike.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

In my opinion the spread in the product quality and ratings is not quite linear in this case, but again, the pro isnt terrible, just a step down from the others. The pricing gives additional cause for concern though. At a little over $500 per window installed, even a company like Zen, which could be a guy that sold his Einstein Bagels franchise to open a window company out of a broom closet will be significantly higher than that. That pricing seems like a one way ticket out of business with the cost of labor and marketing these days.... just my thoughts

Sounds like a sweet deal on the bike though. Could have probably traded a van for it straight up to some kid back in town...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4
:mrgreen:

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm The Pro is pretty good at what it does, and I would have no problem with that window in my house. 5k is 5k no matter how. Many days you chop it into and the difference in performance numbers is so small it is irrelevant IMO.
For $5200 I bought 2 jet skis on trailer and a nice street bike.
I love that you still reference this and that I had this type of impact and influence on you.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 pm In my opinion the spread in the product quality and ratings is not quite linear in this case, but again, the pro isnt terrible, just a step down from the others. The pricing gives additional cause for concern though. At a little over $500 per window installed, even a company like Zen, which could be a guy that sold his Einstein Bagels franchise to open a window company out of a broom closet will be significantly higher than that. That pricing seems like a one way ticket out of business with the cost of labor and marketing these days.... just my thoughts

Sounds like a sweet deal on the bike though. Could have probably traded a van for it straight up to some kid back in town...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4
:mrgreen:
Still one of my favorites. Not quite sure when Jim Carey lost his mind...but the Columbian Bam-Bam is a helluva drug.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

The Okna 600 will have structural reinforcement as well as a structural sill and header interlock as would the okna 800.
Are you located in the southern region?

paulp

#15 Post by paulp »

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region, so not too hot and not too cold.