Patio Door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MulligansValley

Patio Door

#1 Post by MulligansValley »

You all were very helpful when I had some questions about windows last year (we had Okna 500s installed in half the house to replace original aluminum frame windows). We are looking at having a sliding patio door installed as part of a larger job. We are looking at the Polaris Ultraweld, Sunrise Verde, and Okna Elegante. It will be standard size (6') and white/white. We have Heatseal deluxe on our Oknas and are looking for something equivalent on the door. I believe all three offer mutli-point locking (Verde standard and the other two as an option) and built-in screens (we are on the fence on this). I'm leaning Okna because we have been incredibly happy with the Okna windows thus far; however, we were able to see a Sunrise Verde and a Polaris Ultraweld in a showroom and we liked both as well. There is no Elegante on display in our area. I do like the top roller on the screen of the Verde; however, I get all the Sunrise lines confused, so I'm not sure where the Verde falls in comparison to the Elegante.

toddinmn

Re: Patio Door

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I would keep them all the same and use the same dealer as the one doing the windows.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

If you were happy with the previous windows and installer, why look for another product or professional?

MulligansValley

#4 Post by MulligansValley »

Our installer has the Sunrise Verde and Okna Elegante and the Ultraweld is also an option. I wanted to make sure the Verde is on par with the Elegante as the installer is recommending it over the Elegante.

MulligansValley

#5 Post by MulligansValley »

But yes, we are planning on using the same installer that did our windows.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Sunrise Door is very nice as well.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I would go with there recommendation. The Sunrise door always has positive feedback.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't think that you will go wrong with any of those 3. I'm going to be a homer and say that the Okna would be my choice for two reasons:
1) Consistency of brand with your windows. Probably not a big deal, but it can make things more streamlined with warranty, etc. Also has the non-metallic spacer since you mentioned that.
2) Welded frame. Not a make or break thing, but a welded frame will have no way to loosen and leak air or water over time. This is NOT something that is a problem on Sunrise doors by any means, but its simply impossible on a welded frame.

With all of that said, ideally you would view and operate each choice and go from there. The Sunrise door is an excellent door and again, you wouldn't go wrong with it by any means if you were to choose it. You should ask your dealer why he prefers it. I'd imagine it may be for ease of installation/transportation with the KD frame, or he might like the operation a little better. It slides a little more freely than the Okna, particularly in the cold months.

I'll say this, these doors are probably the top two in my book, and if you had a home full of Sunrise windows, I'd probably suggest going that route on the door as well for the reasoning in #1 above.

I should also mention that the Verde door is the same as the other Sunrise doors. Verde is just the "line" that dealer carries for Sunrise windows, but the doors are all the same with the exception of the Essentials (I believe that there is a separate Essentials door, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

MulligansValley

#9 Post by MulligansValley »

Thank you all. This thread, as well as all your previous posts, have been very helpful in us making our decision!