Majestic vs Okna 600

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ottoguy

Majestic vs Okna 600

#1 Post by ottoguy »

We live in Delaware and are looking to replace 13 windows. We have a quote for Majestic windows at $636 a window installed and a quote for Okna 600 series at $891.38 a window.

Which is a better window?

toddinmn

Re: Majestic vs Okna 600

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Is the real question “ Is the Okna 600 worth $256 dollars more per window?”?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:55 pm Is the real question “ Is the Okna 600 worth $256 dollars more per window?”?
Is the real question "is the package of the Okna 600, the installation type and quality, the product options, the trustworthiness and reputation of the dealer, the installation warranty, the customer service, and everything else that goes into an installed window worth $256 dollars more per window?"

... I'm sure that you were inferring all of that, just didn't want it to be interpreted that a price difference has to be justified on product alone.

As a general comment on product and price, I'd say that both options are within the normal range. With the rising cost of labor $636 is definitely on the low end for a good window these days unless the owner is installing himself, and that Okna price seems to be about what that window can be found for within a reasonable variance. The option content and installation obviously will dictate whether its a little better or worse in terms of the value. It would probably be a consensus that the Okna is the better window, but all of those things mentioned above will dictate what could be a better choice here.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I know both of outfits that you have these quotes with. I think that the 600 is nicer personally, however that is quite a price difference. Both are reputable dealers.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I would perhaps try giving Mike a ring?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

both Majestic and Okna are good windows and nice looking.. Ideal “majestic” is nice looking and very efficient, so is the okna. Mike is a pro that serves your area, i would try contacting him. Either window will serve you well.
Last edited by masterext on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ottoguy

#7 Post by ottoguy »

If the Okna is the better window I can try to negotiate them down a bit.

Based on the numbers the Okna has a 0.3 Solar Gain while the Majestic has 0.22. However the Okna has a Visible Transmit of 0.54 and the Majestic 0.48. So the Majestic has less solar, but also less visible light.

I'm all about less heat from the sun.

Delaware Mike do you have a website or company name? I don't see anything in your contact info.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

You will not know if they’ll come down unless you try.
The performance numbers will vary depending on what glass package you use. Okna will have a glass packagage similar , just ask.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Hi Otto, I do have a website and Facebook business page. I update the FB page weekly with elaborate before, during, and after photo galleries of current projects since I'm the guy stuck in the trenches making things right. Most of us pros on here try not to self promote lead acquisition. If you contact Eric at Windows on Washington, who I believe helps moderate the boards, he can get you in contact with me.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Otto, I'd have to agree with the above comments. If Mike serves your area, the best advice that any of us can give would be to meet with him. A true craftsman and good dude.

I'll also mention, only since it wasn't addressed yet, that the lower SHGC number is generally not a good thing in a climate like yours. Typically that means that a manufacturer or dealer is pushing a glass package in your area that is made for a hot & sunny climate, but doing so only for the appearance of better performance on paper even though in fact it will not be as efficient. A gimmick really...

1) The standard surface 2 low e coating on most windows will take the edge off of that heat that you would like to get rid of, while still allowing enough of it to help warm your home, which you do far more than cool it in Delaware.

2)As Todd mentioned, pretty much every window manufacturer that sells windows in warmer climates will have an option like that (Okna calls it Sunseal), they just don't promote it in areas where it is a detriment as opposed to a benefit.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Manufacturers typically don’t promote glass packages. From my experience they offer a standard default package . It is up to the dealer in my experience to convey what their knowledge to the homeowners and discuss the available options.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:43 pm Manufacturers typically don’t promote glass packages. From my experience they offer a standard default package . It is up to the dealer in my experience to convey what their knowledge to the homeowners and discuss the available options.
My experience has been different Todd, although perhaps it is a matter of semantics in what each of us are saying. When a manufacturer pitches or advertises their product with something like 366 glass as "standard", due to the fact that it will meet Energy Star with that package but not a standard "272 or equivalent" (using popular Cardinal glass nomenclature), I'd personally consider that promoting it, particularly given that it will often perform worse than the "lower" offering in a particular region. I do agree however that its very important for the dealers to educate homeowners as opposed to manipulate them, even if a manufacturer could be offering some fuel to do so.

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

That Majestic Ideal window is manufactured in NJ. One would think that it could be optioned with various low-e glass options with SHGC in the .25-.30 range? OKNA's Sunseal accounts for around 5-10% of my glass option upgrades for certain homes with way too much solar penetration here in DE, NJ, and PA. Sunseal doesn't marry well with grids though.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

shgc has nothing to do with how good a window is. shgc is based on a specific glass package. both okna and Ideal “majestic” offer various shgc ratings. typically, a glass package with a low shgc will render a lower VT rating. one window wouldnt be better than the other based on shgc.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

Homesealed, I agree with what your saying but my point was it is typically not the manufacturer promoting this.
Going from what original poster said 366 and similar glass packs may be what he is looking for. I have many jobs in my northern climate where I recommend 366 type glass packages. I have not seen an credible data where a 272 package with a lower U value and higher solar outperforms a 366 package with lower solar except on some passive houses. I typically do use a 272 type glass on surface 3 and like using 366 type glass on sunrooms or with walls with a lot of glass. Neither of these are “standard or default options through my manufacturer. I would say in southern climates the choice is more clear cut and much easier to figure out when it comes to money saved on energy expenses and comfort.