Alside Proline 2200 vs Sunrise Essentials

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
wrangler

Alside Proline 2200 vs Sunrise Essentials

#1 Post by wrangler »

Hello,

I got two quotes for Alside Proline 2200 and Sunrise Essentials for replacement windows. I couldn't find the model called Proline 2200 from the Alside website, but that's what an installer is selling. "Essentials" is the very basic model of Sunrise, and I see that it is not favorably viewed in this forum. Alside Proline 2200 is ~$1,000 cheaper than Sunrise Essentials. Can I be advised of which model is better between the two?

Thanks in advance.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Alside Proline 2200 vs Sunrise Essentials

#2 Post by masterext »

The essentials is not highly regarded but the alside is $1000 cheaper. What does that tell you ?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are sometimes inquiries where the right answer...is neither.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Is this for your personal home?
How long do you think you will live there?
How much draft do you want the windows to allow?

wrangler

#5 Post by wrangler »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:10 pm Is this for your personal home?
How long do you think you will live there?
How much draft do you want the windows to allow?
Yes, I'll live for a few more years. I cannot answer the draft question, but either one of these two would be better than my 35 year old current windows, I guess.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Even in the cases of short term usage projections, I find that folks are both happier and get a better ROI on their window selection if they go with a good mid-range product vs. an entry level. By all accounts, both products in question would fit the "entry range" descriptor and in this case, occupy that space even in their own brand name line ups.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Great feedback above... Sure, anything may be better than your 35 year old window in their current state, however a low end window is not going to be another 35 yr window. Try 10-15. Not only that, while they may be "better", are they worth investing thousands of dollars? IMO, up your budget (perhaps via a reasonable financing offer) or hold off until budget will allow a better choice.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

One of the most common responses i hear from a customer is “ im not sure how long i will be living here”. Thats usually a defense mechamism with the hopes that a window company wont try and sell them a more expensive window.
That said, the second most common response is “ anything will be better than what i have”. Can you imagine if you applied that logic to everything in life!
If you spend 7k on a budget window rather than 10k for a much better designed/ more air tight window, you are only slightly reducing your issues, not eliminating them. To me, you are just throwing away 7k. If you are only staying in the home a few more years, good windows will help with resale.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

There are a few reasons why many builders use low end vinyl.

wrangler

#10 Post by wrangler »

Can you tell me why "vanguard" is significantly better than "essentials"? I see that numbers are better, but am asking what practical differences such better numbers can really make. For example, is "air tightness" something that we can really realize in terms of energy savings then? I live in Southwest Ohio, and am wondering what difference the two different models can really make. The price difference between the two models is ~$6K for 16 DH, 3 sliders, and 4 basement hoppers.
Last edited by wrangler on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterext

#11 Post by masterext »

Vanguard is much nicer looking, built much stronger, more efficient. Its a much better window and in my opinion, one of the top 5 windows.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

What he said.

Seriously though...if you look at the Essentials next to a Vanguard, you won't understand how both windows are made by the same company and how they could put their name on an Essentials when they produce something like the Vanguard. They are WORLDS apart.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

You should have other quality brands in your area, I’d price some of those out. Sunrise does need t make my top 5 regardless of which series, unless we’re talking casements.

wrangler

#14 Post by wrangler »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:09 am What he said.

Seriously though...if you look at the Essentials next to a Vanguard, you won't understand how both windows are made by the same company and how they could put their name on an Essentials when they produce something like the Vanguard. They are WORLDS apart.
I got the two following quotes for 16 double hung, 3 sliders, and 4 basement hoppers. Do they sound reasonable?

Essentials: ~$10,900
Vanguard: ~$16,500

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Vanguard quote sounds about normal and the Essentials sounds low. Same contractor?

If you have every handled or unloaded an Essentials off of a truck vs. a Vanguard, you will feel $200 per unit difference.