Comparing Quotes.. Can't decide!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mehilovich

Comparing Quotes.. Can't decide!

#1 Post by mehilovich »

Hello! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read this and/or provide their advice! I truly appreciate it!

My fiancee and I are in need of replacement windows, and have narrowed it down to two companies. We keep flopping back and forth, and I'm hoping I can get some direction!

Situation: 10 windows (variation of slider, picture and DH windows) and 1 sliding door. We have 2 windows and a sliding glass door with broken seals, one of which is actually starting to leak. Thus why we NEED to replace at least those 3 (the others are still drafty, allowing condensation buildup - essentially on their way out), but makes more sense to replace the whole house while we're at it. We'd normally step up from the "entry" level replacement window, but can't afford another $3-4k at this time, given our current debts, wedding coming up, etc. From the quotes we've received, the two window lines below seem to rate (NFRC.org) far better than Alside, Pella, or a few others in this price range that we've received quotes for.

Here are the details of the quotes we're deciding between:

Windows Plus
  • Soft-Lite Barrington windows w/366 LoE and Soft-Lite Kingsroyal sliding door for $6,500
Some notes on this quote:
  • Windows Plus only uses the Super Spacer w/"neat edge" application using black butyl rubber double seal.
  • Quote for the Soft-Lite Kingsroyal doesn't include premium upgrades like stainless steel dual rollers ($39 upgrade) or "ToeBolt" locking system ($30 upgrade).
  • Windows Plus claims to have a lifetime warranty, however it does require screens to be dropped off for free screen service. A truly lifetime warranty (transferable once), which covers everything from screens, to hardware, to even glass breakage (not included on the Barrington, but included for free to match Windows Direct).
  • Windows Plus is a family-owned private company that's been in Cincinnati since 1982. They're not a franchise and are debt free. They only use their own installers.
Windows Direct
  • Sunrise Essentials windows w/366 LoE and Alside Promenade 6400 sliding door for $6,500
OR
  • Sunrise Essentials windows w/366 LoE and Sunrise sliding door for $7,100
Some notes on this quote:
  • We're told that the Sunrise Essentials includes Cardinal glass and uses the Cardinal XL Edge spacer. I can't find this anywhere on Sunrise's information and it isn't explicitly stated in Windows Direct documentation, but the Salesmen claims this. Not sure if anyone can confirm here, but I plan to reach out to Sunrise to ask directly.
  • The Alside Promenade doesn't rate nearly as well as the Sunrise sliding door, and Windows Direct refuses to match the price from Windows Plus, which includes the Soft-Lite competitor/equivalent.
  • Windows Direct claims they have the best lifetime warranty in the business. No hidden service charges, a truly lifetime warranty (transferable once), which covers everything from screens, to hardware, to even glass breakage.
  • Windows Direct USA is a nationwide company with franchises in Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, etc. They use their own installers, too.
Please let me know if I've forgotten anything important! I'm hoping some of you fine members have experience with Soft-Lite or Sunrise, or even Cardinal XL Edge spacer vs Super Spacer. My main concern with the Super Spacer is the durability over time. Obviously each product bashes the other, claiming that they're better in every way, so it's hard to know what to trust.

For those of you who may be familiar with the Alside Promenade vs Sunrise sliding door, do you think it's worth the $600 upgrade to get foam filling, better bearings, triple locking system, top-hung sliding screen, etc (standard on the Sunrise door)?

Any and all feedback is welcome! Thank you again for your time!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Comparing Quotes.. Can't decide!

#2 Post by masterext »

I answered on the other site. Although i like sunrise, not a fan if essentials or alside. In his case soft lite is the better option. As far a screen warranty, most companies dont warranty screen mesh.
That said, try to upgrade to the sunrise vanguard.
I didnt realize that was Chris’s company. He is very knowledgeable and runs a great company. In this case windows direct is a very good option
Last edited by masterext on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Chris over at Windows Direct Cincinnati runs a good operation and contributes to the community here as well as others. They would be my recommendation in your area. I'd strongly prefer upgrading to the higher end Sunrise line though on the window, and definitely do the Sunrise door over the Alside.

Your current budget is pretty sparse for this project IMO. Your other commitments are understandable no doubt, however you might consider breaking into phases or looking at financing options to get a product that will serve you better. Windows are a 30+ year investment when done right, its money well spent over the service life of the product.

mehilovich

#4 Post by mehilovich »

Thanks again for the replies! I should have known that the same communities would be part of each of these forums, given that they're the same type of message board and have the same phone number at the top of the site! Oops!

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you do SL I would suggest the LS.
theWindowNerd.com

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

The SL Barrington and Classic series are not at what I feel is an acceptable level of engineering and frame quality in this day and age. The Bainbridge and Pro are better since their frame design makes more since in regards to the head extrusion design. I've found them all to be a little too loose tolerance wise and their sashes only feature 2-point weatherstripping profiles. All of your premium vinyl DH offerings pretty much have 3-point at this point.

With all of the social media and blog forums out there, we field guys share war stories about our window installs all of the time in private groups and there are a lot more happy Sunrise and OKNA guys out there then the Soft-Lite.

mehilovich

#7 Post by mehilovich »

Delaware Mike wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:36 pm The SL Barrington and Classic series are not at what I feel is an acceptable level of engineering and frame quality in this day and age. The Bainbridge and Pro are better since their frame design makes more since in regards to the head extrusion design. I've found them all to be a little too loose tolerance wise and their sashes only feature 2-point weatherstripping profiles. All of your premium vinyl DH offerings pretty much have 3-point at this point.

With all of the social media and blog forums out there, we field guys share war stories about our window installs all of the time in private groups and there are a lot more happy Sunrise and OKNA guys out there then the Soft-Lite.
Thanks for the info, Delaware Mike! I seem to be hearing that a lot re: SL Barrington and Sunrise Essentials. Do you have any opinions on whether or not the Sunrise Essentials is worth the price? If not, what do you think is a fair price to step up to the Vanguard or SL Elements (or do you recommend another window for this price range?). I haven’t run into an OKNA dealer in this area, although I have seen them mentioned and compared in forums.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

We already said we dont like the essentials.
the Element price is very goood.