Austin, Tx Replacement Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BlueWaves

Austin, Tx Replacement Windows

#1 Post by BlueWaves »

With Austin's resell value continuing to rise, we've decided to take the plunge and update our 1977 home including replacing the original sad windows.

So I've got a few quotes and quickly realized how much I had to learn. I have 13 single hung windows (6 pretty large) and in addition to those, I have 6 panes of glass (trapezoid shapes) on high walls with vaulted ceilings.

I have had several companies come out or scheduled to come out (Window World (I know, I didn't know any better), Pella (more than 3x the price), and some recommended local companies selling: MI 3500, Simonton (I think Reflections 5500), and Milgard Tuscany and Milgard Ultra (fiberglass).

I know this is a lot of choices. I included the 1 fiberglass option because we like the sleeker look - but I don't have enough experience to know how those compare.

I have tried to begin learning of the various components that make or break a quality window but the most frustrating of all is it seems the best brands don't seem to line up with the best local companies with the best reputations. Can you let me know if any of those brands mentioned above are quality? And what features should I be most adamant the windows have (specific sliders, sloped sash, etc?)

Patience please - I'm just learning the lingo. And it's overwhelming the info online. So I'd love some direction from Pros. Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Austin, Tx Replacement Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What did you like so far?

The Simonton 5500 is plenty sturdy, but will give about the exact opposite feel of a sleek fiberglass window. Fiberglass is nice, but will come at a definite premium and if the look isn't what you are really wanting, you are spending more than you need to.

BlueWaves

#3 Post by BlueWaves »

Thank you, Windows on Washington. I prefer the sleeker look but budget does have to be considered. That was the attraction to the fiberglass but since I don't have a bid yet I'm not sure how much that premium will actually run. I won't be willing to pay double for a preferred look. Doing the research so far I am most confused by the fact some of the highest recommended companies seem to sell inferior brands, (Alside; MI), etc. I do have a quality company selling the Simonton but the reviewer's mention of "bulky frames" made me hesitate. I may have to compromise - just preferred the sleek look. Ultimately I want quality over design "look" (as long as it looks nice, not cheap) and that is what led me to investigate. The first salesperson felt slimy and while he said a lot of great things about his window I could tell there was more to be learned.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

If by sleek, you mean the common definition of shiny and smooth, then vinyl will fit the bill just fine. Sunrise is available in the Austin area, and will probably be your best choice in a quality product.

While there are better performing brands, none of them are available there. Texas homeowners are unfortunately quite limited in premium grade products, and inundated with an abundance of mediocre offerings.

LoneStarGuy

#5 Post by LoneStarGuy »

We bought our windows from Ringer Windows in Taylor. They are a local manufacturer and had a very thin frame. I'd suggest going to their showroom to see if you like them. I ended up installing them myself but your job sounds difficult with the higher ceilings so you'd probably want them to do it.

They got a great glass package for our area - Cardinal 366, double-strength plus their frames are reinforced standard. The only downside is like most Austin installers they don't use spray foam.